• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worried about Lilah..// Admitted. // Home!!

funnybunnyabc

Warren Veteran
Its really hot and I think she's feeling the heat. :(
She's drank LOTS of water though, like 5x the amount they usually go through. Thats really worried me, not sure if it should but she's hardly left the bottle all day.

She's ate much less than usual, and eaten no hay (which is really strange for her bacause she eats LOADS!) She's only ate about 5 pellets and a bite of cabbage.

She had a bit of poo stuck to her as well, it was kinda sticky but not runny or squidgy. There was 2 other sticky poos but the rest are nice an gold, like Lilah usually does. Don't know if that's even relevant but just in case.

She seems okay in herself though, but she occasionally flops right out beside the water bowl and starts panting really noticeably, and looks spaced out for a minute or two.

Does this sound like something normal that happens to bunnies in the heat, or is there something really wrong with her? I was holding ice to her ears and it cooled her a bit and she ran about a bit..is it okay to do that? I've put ice in the bowl but she tried to eat it so I took it out in case she choked.

Any advice, tips on how to keep her cool? She wont go near the ice pods, or the frozen brick.:( Off to tempt her with some banana - her favourite..if she doesn't eat that, then I panic...

Last edited:
we put a fan near joeys hutch while it has been really hot and he started running around again very soon. i would be worried if he is drinking 5 times the amount of water tho!

we had a leaky water bottle and diddnt realise once and the vet said it could be a kidney infection if he is drinking a bottle a day.

She wouldn't eat the banana :(

I can't give her a fan cos she's outside, thanks tho :) xx

We used to run an extension lead outside and plug the fan in that way so we could cool off our buns outside, but I still think a vets visit would be worthwhile too! Hope she's ok x

We used to run an extension lead outside and plug the fan in that way so we could cool off our buns outside, but I still think a vets visit would be worthwhile too! Hope she's ok x

Okay, thanks :)Thats a good idea!I'll go see if I can find an extension lead, and I'll phone the vet, but they're shutting very soon so I'm not sure if they'll be able to give me an appointment :(. fingers crossed :( x

Taking her for a quick check over now, he said he could squish us in between appointments. He doesn't think its anything too serious, but better safe than sorry.

Hope she's okay :( x

Back! Well we got back a while ago, that was eventful...:|
dad wouldn't take me so we had to get the bus :( Lilah got very warm on the bus and starting breathing really strangely, kept flopping and shutting her eyes, then shivering violently :cry: then when we were walking from the bus stop to the vet she went really cold..within 15 minutes her ears went from roasting hot to colder than I'd ever felt them..then she flopped out shut her eyes and I thought she was dying :oops::cry: so I started running and phoned the vet he said to take her out the carrier and try to heat her up with my body heat. Turns out the rest of her actually wasn't as cold as I thought she would be from her ears..and I overreacted..but nonetheless I was still convinced she was dying :oops: I'm not 'used to' poorly animals..so I just panicked. Dropped the carrier on the ground and carried her the rest of the way. She opened her eyes, bit me twice, and pee'd on me. :lol: then kept trying to jump away from me, but still doing lots of shivering things :cry:

Anyway, we got to the vet the receptionist asked us to 'take a seat' and I was like 'nooo I think she's dying help!' and she was like okay..wait a second and she went and got the vet. We went in to his room and he went round the back, while he was away she started doing a sort of gasping motion with her mouth :cry: He came through and took her away through, I phoned dad and he drove up. vet put her on something fluids, don't remember exactly what, he said something about oxygen too. He was talking to dad though not me, dad told me to phone mum to tell her where we were so I didn't really catch much of what the vet was saying. She done a few poos at the vet and they were strange looking, he listened to her tum thinks she might either have a gassy tum or a blockage too, and gave her gut medicine. don't know what excactly he said because I was on the phone and dad 'forgot' :evil: he should have bloody drove me up In the first place and we would have avoided the whole bus thing :evil:

The vet has admitted her overnight, because she wasn't cooling down and she was still breathing rapidly and shaking. He wants to keep an eye on her, and give her 'something something fluids' (again, that's what dad told me:evil: ). He said I've not to be worrying, because he'll take great care of her and she should be fine to come home by tomorrow. He said although she's quite poorly, the prognosis looks alright.

My poor girl, why did I not get her to the vet sooner :cry::cry:

Also, why is it that she got heat exhaustion today and not yesterday, because they were in the sun longer yesterday and it was warmer yesterday? Might it have anything to do with her being underweight?

I'm so stupid :cry: I never knew how dangerous heat was to a bun :cry:
If anyone has any spare 'get well soon' vibes..we would really appreciate them :cry:
xx

Last edited:
VIBES!!!! Well done for actually taking her to the vets! not just giving up on the whole 'vets' idea after your Dad refused to take you! ;)

next time ring a taxi hun..or try your local pets to vets folks who might have a slot...we have a lady round the corner...animals at home
http://www.animalsathome.co.uk/

gill has run me to long distance vets and back again..and if shes free i will ask her to take me and stay with me and bring me back..its £20 an hour...but when you dont drive..its the same as the taxi fare! saldy tho this time of year shes booked solid with pets whose owners are on holiday.
she also had to come round each time bertie needed a jab..she charged me £8 each time.

i think you were severely stressed and rightly so...ive been there too.
our second bunny woozle..it wasnt a hot day it was sunny with a nice breeze....hed been in his run getitng some sun and on his lead n harness running round the garden...and then over to my mums and her garden and her neighbour cuddling him..suddenly we relaised he wasnt struggling at all or getitng comfy like he did with cuddles....we touched him and omg we were horrified....took him home....put him in his cage..put frozen water bottles either side of him..ice cubes in towels bathing his ears...ice cubes in his drink...damp flannels on his neck and back too...and the fan directly on him. We were very lucky..he hadnt got to the panting stage. But he perked up that night and was sleeping on the carpet with the fan on him...by morning he was fine.

stasis is a nasty thing...and sad to say stress of the journey to vets alone is a killer factor in these cases....the bus was the worst thing...but you had no choice so not going to grill you on that:lol:

i hope lilah will get better as soon as poss...shes in the best place xx

VIBES!!!! Well done for actually taking her to the vets! not just giving up on the whole 'vets' idea after your Dad refused to take you! ;)

Thanks for the vibes people xx and dad has apologized profusely for not taking us cause he said 'there's nothing wrong with her' how wrong he was..:cry: poor girl :cry:

I had no money for a taxi, the vet is about 35 mins away it would have been like £20 unfortunately it was bus or nothing :cry::cry:

poor you..id have been hysterical and dropped my buns if that had been me..you were very brave and sensible to react to your gut telling you to take her to the vet:love:

my dad used to think buns could wait like cats n dogs..but once he realised how fast rabbits go downhill..he never questioned me again. hes been dead for 5yrs now..i really miss him..and sad i cannot make him laugh with the buns we have now..or our cats....he really took to housebuns.....he adored our 1st one..a feisty doe who adored his visits. He laughed at our second crazy bun....when he died..my dad took us to the pet store once a week to get a bunny fix. he took us to get our next bun who was like a puppy...and he loved making my dad laugh..we used to take him over to my mum and dads for visits :lol:

admitted lilah will prob be given a drip....IV fluids.......antbx.....gut stimulating meds..usually metaclopramide.....and zantac too as buns tums ulcerate very quickly once not eating. Most important of all is the pain relief.
If she has low oxygen levels ect then i guess hteyd give her oxygen too.

shes in the very best place....go relax and keep yourself busy till yiu hear anything...its the worst part....but im sure things will improve pretty quick once fluids and gut meds and pain rleiefs in.....i will be keeping fingers crossed for you.

still couldnt have handled it like you did...im useless in bunny momnets like that:oops::lol:

poor you..id have been hysterical and dropped my buns if that had been me..you were very brave and sensible to react to your gut telling you to take her to the vet:love:

my dad used to think buns could wait like cats n dogs..but once he realised how fast rabbits go downhill..he never questioned me again. hes been dead for 5yrs now..i really miss him..and sad i cannot make him laugh with the buns we have now..or our cats....he really took to housebuns.....he adored our 1st one..a feisty doe who adored his visits. He laughed at our second crazy bun....when he died..my dad took us to the pet store once a week to get a bunny fix. he took us to get our next bun who was like a puppy...and he loved making my dad laugh..we used to take him over to my mum and dads for visits :lol:

admitted lilah will prob be given a drip....IV fluids.......antbx.....gut stimulating meds..usually metaclopramide.....and zantac too as buns tums ulcerate very quickly once not eating. Most important of all is the pain relief.
If she has low oxygen levels ect then i guess hteyd give her oxygen too.

shes in the very best place....go relax and keep yourself busy till yiu hear anything...its the worst part....but im sure things will improve pretty quick once fluids and gut meds and pain rleiefs in.....i will be keeping fingers crossed for you.

still couldnt have handled it like you did...im useless in bunny momnets like that:oops::lol:

Aww thanks :oops: I'm not a calm sensible person..today I've shocked myself. :shock:.

Awh I'm sorry about your dad :(

My dad said 'I had cats all my life, she can wait till tomorrow and I'll take you then!' Thank god I never listened to him!! :(

I'm just sitting outside with the other buns now..they look a bit confused :(

xx

Poor Lilah, that sounds really scary! :( It might not be the heat that's made her ill, that could be a coincidence. Don't blame yourself, you haven't done anything wrong. You did the right thing getting her to the vet. :) Hope he can help her. Sending lots of vibes for Lilah xx

Back