• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Male lop sterm donor wanted \ Devon area

Annie1980

New Kit
I have a female lop rabbit who is three and a half years old. I breed her last year for the first time unfortunately when i contacted the owner of the male rabbit i last used she informed me he had has now passed away. So im looking for a male lop to breed her with before i get her spayed. I want to keep one of the litter as a friend for her and have a few good homes lined up with close friends and family. I live in the taunton area of devon/somerset and would bring her to the sperm donner bunnys place for a supervised bunny date. Any help would be appreciated.

hi there:)

this forum is mainly a rescue and rehome place so you're looking in the wrong place for a sperm donor bun. we advocate preventing further litters by neutering and spaying as there already thousands upon thousands of unwanted/neglected rabbits in rescues nationwide.

Hi

You will find there are lots and lots of lovely bunnies in rescues desperately waiting for new homes so no need to breed!!

In fact there are abut 30,000 rabbits each year waiting for new homes! So have a look around at the local rescues or on the associated Rabbit Rehome website!!

Have fun looking and providing a lovely new home for some sdesperate and neglected buns

Is there a reason why you can't adopt a rescue rabbit as her companion or does it have to be one of her babies?

And this is more of a rescue rabbit forum and the majority of people neuter ad spay their rabbits, to prevent some behaviour, health problems and breeding.

:wave:

Welcome to RU. Prior to breeding it is essential to know the genetic line behind the rabbbits you are breeding to ensure that you do not breed in defects.

Can I ask if you know the genetic history of your rabbit? Lops rabbits are particuarly prone to dental problems and breeding them with could generate a litter who all have dental problems. If you don't know the history of both your own rabbit and also the one you are going to breed yours with I would advise against breeding them as you could end up with a litter of rabbits all with dental disease who will be hard to rehome and will live a life of having to have expensive dentals.

There are so many rabbits already in rescue who have no home, my suggestion would be to contact them and get an already neutered male rabbit to bond with your female which you can get neutered asap.

Hey,

I just wanted to say that it's advisable to breed much younger than she is now and because her first litter was when she was well over the recommended age of first breeding, at her first litter, that even if you know all the genetics, it would still nto be responsible to breed her because of all the wide variety of health issues she is likely to get as a result of a late pregnancy.

Back