• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help about rabbit-sitting

Dark_moon

New Kit
Hello all,

I have 2 boys living very happily together outside; a friend of mine has been let down fairly last minute by the person that was going to look after her house-rabbit when she goes on holiday next week - in principle I'm happy to have him, but just wanted to ask if there are any precautions I need to take? All three rabbits are neutered males, and all up to date with mixi & vhd vaccinations. My rabbits never come inside, and hers wouldn't go out, so they wont meet, but obviously I will interact with all of them.

Thanks in advance,

Rach

hi, :wave:

as they won't meet i can't see much of a problem. the only thing i'd suggest is try see to your own bunnies first then the one you are looking after and wash your hands inbetween seeing to each.
a friend of mine had 2 bonded neutered buns and fostered a third which never came into contact with hers, but her bonded pair started fighting and had to be seperated and re bonded.
thoughts were that her bonded pair smelt the other on her as she fed and cleaned it before going straight to see to her own and they kicked off.

not sure how right this was or if something else triggered the fights but before that they had been together for 2 years quite happily.
better safe than sorry. :)

her bonded pair started fighting and had to be seperated and re bonded.

Eek, that's a bit scary. My two have just turned one and have been together since they were 8 weeks old, so I've never needed to bond them as such as they were so young they were best friends by the end of the car journey home.

Washing hands and always seeing to mine first would be enough to prevent that do you think?

I think that would be fine. I often have my sister's rabbits stay and as long as they are separate from mine I have no problems. :)

Back