• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits outside all night or not?

andy5898

Warren Scout
Yesterday I built my 5ft by 4ft runs to attach to my 6ft hutches. So now my 3 bunnies 2 in one hutch one in the other all have loads of room.

Anyway last night I went to bed after taking the hutch door off and securing the run to the hutch and then I couldn't sleep for worrying about them. So at 1030pm last night their I was putting their doors back on their hutches so I could shut them in. They all seemed a bit confused as to why they were still able to go outside when it was dark but I guess this is because it was new.

So now I am concerned is it ok to let the buns have access to the runs 24/7, they are all secure my garden is like fort knox I have so many padlocks and locks on gates and hutches and runs. Will the bunnies love their new found freedom and is dad just getting a bit paranoid and they are fine? What do others think should I keep them locked in last thing before I go to bed or let them play in there locked in runs and hutch together when they want too?

My personal view is that if it's not safe enough for unsupervised access at night, it's not safe enough for unsupervised access during the day either. It's more than just locks and bolts though - is the mesh strong enough and fixed strongly enough that a fox can't break through it? Is the join between the hutch and run strong enough that a fox can't pull the run away? Can the run be dug underneath? If all of these things are fine, then personally I would leave them out, mine are out 24/7 and love the night time access. Bunnies are most active dawn and dusk so leaving them out all the time gives them the space when they most naturally use it.

Some people are worried about foxes etc at night worrying them, so if this bothers you perhaps you could look at making some kind of cover that you can put over the run at night?

My personal view is that if it's not safe enough for unsupervised access at night, it's not safe enough for unsupervised access during the day either. It's more than just locks and bolts though - is the mesh strong enough and fixed strongly enough that a fox can't break through it? Is the join between the hutch and run strong enough that a fox can't pull the run away? Can the run be dug underneath? If all of these things are fine, then personally I would leave them out, mine are out 24/7 and love the night time access. Bunnies are most active dawn and dusk so leaving them out all the time gives them the space when they most naturally use it.

Some people are worried about foxes etc at night worrying them, so if this bothers you perhaps you could look at making some kind of cover that you can put over the run at night?

The run can't be dug underneath as I have decking tiles in the run, I have screwed the run to the hutch so the fox/cat anything else nasty needs a screwdriver in his back pocket :lol: The mesh is brand new and all on secure so bunnies can't toddle off to see their neighbours and no one can come to see them. I just think I went a bit paranoid last night as they are my little babies! I know I sound mentally derranged but I just couldn't sleep last night. Now they are all looking at me as if I was mental shutting the door on them!

What kind of mesh do you have? The square cross over kind or chicken wire? And how is it attached to the frame?

What kind of mesh do you have? The square cross over kind or chicken wire? And how is it attached to the frame?

The square kind as it is far stronger than chicken wire and it is all stapled to the runs with thick staples. Then where I am not happy with the staples I have gone back and put in those nail hook things you get for wire.

It all sounds great to me Andy. I can't see anything getting to your buns, you can do no more. :D

When we first got Peter we only left him in his run when supervised. Now he's in it all day, morning till night, apart from when we take him inside with us.

Our run isn't attached to his hutch so he's used to being picked up a few times a day, which I think makes him used to being handled.

Sleep well tonight in the knowledge your buns are safe as houses. Sounds like a great set-up. :wave:

Last edited:
my own rabbits have access to their run all the time it is 3ft high and 6 x 8 They have been like that for about 4 years ( plus garden time ) Just to add they haven't been carried off by any Redkites either :lol:

Back