• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spayed Female and Un-neutered Male bonding???

Hey Guys

So, I'm getting a new hutch thats coming with an un-neutered male rabbit. I would like him to bond with my spayed female rabbit.
Is it okay to bond an un-neutered male with a spayed female????

p.s. The new male previously lived with a spayed female with his previous owner, but sadly his mate died so thats why shes getting rid of him.

Not really a good idea.
He'll mount the female and it may annoy her to the point of attacking her. He doesn't care that the female is spayed, he'll just be obsessed with mating.

To prevent fights, it's best he's neutered first

Bonding an unneutered male with a neutered female is not a good idea for the following reason.

An unneutered male will have lots of hormones and may persistently hump the female making his genitals sore which may require vetinary attention. The cost of care may end up more expensive than getting the male neutered.

A humpy male will soon get the female fed up with his advances and she will end up fighting back resulting in injuries which require vetinary attention. Again this is likely to cost more than getting the male neutered.

I would suggest keeping them apart. Getting the male neutered and then about 2 -3 weeks after wards try and bond, if he is quite humpy leave it for a few more weeks.

Thanks guys

Thanks everyone whos commented so far!

Thing is though, although I will probably get him neutered anyway, he used to live with a spayed female and his previous owner said they had no problems with humping ect..

What do you think???

Thanks again everyone, youre all lovely! X)

Not a good idea.Honestly.He will be as randy as anything with his hormones.
Get him done, wait 6 weeks for the hormones to die down.Then bond.
Youve had honest real advice.Please take it.xxxxx:wave::wave::wave:

Thing is though, although I will probably get him neutered anyway, he used to live with a spayed female and his previous owner said they had no problems with humping ect..

What do you think???

Just an idea, perhaps the sort of person who gets rid of their rabbit free with a rabbit hutch didn't take much notice.

I know this may sound harsh, and perhaps she/he is a friend but sadly it can be true. Also, each rabbit is different and will tollerate different things depending on their character and their desire to be the dominant one.

All I can say is I wouldn't....I had an elderly male who was un-neutered and tried bonding him with a spayed female, despite being 8 years old all he did was hump,the result being 2 very very stressed out bunnies...please take the advice given and get the male neutered before bonding.:wave:

Personally I would be scrubbing the new hutch out and putting new bun into quarentine for two weeks to protect your exisiting bun.

In that time you can assess the buns personality and see how you want to progress in the short term, and maybe book his neuter?

In the best case scenario, all will go well, and they could live happliy, however, if anything does go wrong, it could be serious, and vets bill high. you might end up having two single buns who hate each other, could you house two single buns, with the potential of having to get other friends for each?

Saying all that, and going against what ^ have said I have had a neutered bun with an un neutered bun for approx 3 months. However, it was the other way round and my neutered male was very placid before neutering. And it was winter when buns have less urge to reproduce and more urge to survive. It also plunged my girl into phantom pregnancies.

I have also had an unneutered bun in a group and the group of neutered buns ( one in particular) bullied the un neutered bun, who just sat in a basket for days on end. In the end I moved her out to be by herself, as it just wasn't fair.

We can advise, but only you can make the decisions. However I would urge quarentine and a vets check before anything.

There's a chance that the female will react aggressively to his humping. And where do rabbits who want to hurt bite? Right there... genitalia. There have been cases of rabbits dying of shock when their testicles were bitten. Neutering a boy is much less expensive and he will bounce back quickly. After a few days he won't even remember he had an op. ;)

What do you think???

Just because one bond works one way does not mean that bonding him with another will work and he will have the same behaviour. Same as in human life!

Okay, THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO REPLIED!!!!!

I am most definately going to get him neutered before I bond him with my other beautiful bunbun.

I appreciate all the advice you have all given me.

You guys are all AWESOME!!!!:D

!!!update!!!

My un-neutered male bunny is now FULLY CASTRATED!!!!

Turns out his old female bunny, who died recently, actually bit his genitals when he humped her head by accident.
I didnt know this until after I posted this thread.
In total it cost £120 approx and luckily I only payed £65 which is still a lot!

Castrating/neutering him was the only way of curing him from this HUGE abscess he got from the bite. So if he wasnt, I wouldnt have him with me today.

Thanks for all of your advice and comments...

I LOVE YOU ALL!!!
:love::love::love:

Poor boy! Sounds like you may have saved this little ones life :thumb:

You've definitely done the right thing getting him neutered first, just leave him for about 6 weeks before you try bonding for all the hormones to quieten down, and so he can get over the operation and the absess.

Is it normal to produce bloody pee/orange pee?

I've found like an orange liquid on the floor and on his feet :( I've checked his feet, his stitches and his bits and they all seem fine. So I'm not sure if Its because that hes had such a big operation or its normal when you have a male bunny neutered/castrated.

Should I ring the vets up tomorrow???:(

Is it normal to produce bloody pee/orange pee?

I've found like an orange liquid on the floor and on his feet :( I've checked his feet, his stitches and his bits and they all seem fine. So I'm not sure if Its because that hes had such a big operation or its normal when you have a male bunny neutered/castrated.

Should I ring the vets up tomorrow???:(

I would ring them to just incase and keep an eye on him for now incase theres more of it if there is then call the emergency number tonight

yeah. I told my mum about it and we rang them up and booked another check up tomorrow morning.
To be honest, I havent seen any of the orange in his wee since, but I aint gonna risk it....hes beautiful!

Further updates!!!

Scooby is nearlly healed up and is all well and healthy.
I consulted the vet on this orange peeing matter and she said that it is probably either his diet of because of his castration.

He is fed on pellets, however his previous owner fed him muesli, and so thats most likely the reason said the vet.

After hes fully healed up, shall i wait 6 weeks or does the waiting game start from the day he was neutered???

thanks again

Back