• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you agree to put down a snuffles rabbit?

I had Ginger Bun PTS. He was really very poorly with it. I tried for 3 weeks with different meds, and about twice as much metacam as he was 'allowed', but he was still in constant pain and there was no improvement. The vet did skull x-rays and found that his sinuses were very badly damaged, and that there was what looked like some sort of growth or tumor there too. I made the decision to have him PTS under the GA. It was heartbreaking and I think of it every day, but I don't regret making that choice at all. It would have been cruel to put him through any more.

no, not unless the animal is really having trouble breathing to the point it is suffering..otherwise..no..regular treatment can keep it under control

Completely depends on the circumstances and how ill the bunny is. Like with people, illnesses and afflictions vary in severity from one to another. The common cold could kill one person, yet hardly affect another.

I read on a website, that the first sign on snuffles, you should put the rabbit to sleep as snuffles is highly contagious.

Completely depends on the circumstances and how ill the bunny is. Like with people, illnesses and afflictions vary in severity from one to another. The common cold could kill one person, yet hardly affect another.

^ This

I had to have Sorrel put to sleep as she got a sudden respiratory infection that was so severe she was mouth breathing after one day, couldn't eat, lungs were filled with fluid...I would have considered continuing treatment even for that but she also had an abcess, osteomyelitis and other dental problems, it was all too much for her :(

I certainly wouldn't have a bun PTS at the first sign of a respiratoyry infection as they are often successfully treated. I suspect the website you read was one aimed at breeders or similar.

I read on a website, that the first sign on snuffles, you should put the rabbit to sleep as snuffles is highly contagious.

:shock:

That's awful. Buns can have a very good life even with snuffles. Most buns have the bacteria anyway.
Unless the bunny is suffering horribly i.e. can't breath, no way of relieving the suffering I wouldn't pts.
Most buns live a relatively normal life with snuffles. We just think of Buckley as having bunny asthma: every once in a while he might have a snuffles attack but with the correct treatment we can make the symptoms go away and give him back his little fuzzy smile.

Snowball I can't remember the site, did you need proof?:?

I don't think it would have been for proof, I'd quite like to see the website incase its possible that I could complain/ send a polite email saying that they may be wrong. Think about it..if you didn't have here to ask, you may think 'oh no, better go to the vet and ask them to put him to sleep!' which would be terribly tragic because the bunny may not have needed PTS.

I don't know much about snuffles, but I'm quite sure from reading on here, just because a bun has snuffles it doesn't meen it should automatically be put to sleep.

:wave:

If the baytril hasn't made a difference then I will go for a culture and sensitivity test instead of wasting money on meds which might do more harm than good.
That way I will know what meds to use which will prevent it :) !
And .. Its the early stages so it might be easier to clear away :)

I can't remember the site, I looked at loads of sites while researching snuffles

I had to have Sorrel put to sleep as she got a sudden respiratory infection that was so severe she was mouth breathing after one day, couldn't eat, lungs were filled with fluid...I would have considered continuing treatment even for that but she also had an abcess, osteomyelitis and other dental problems, it was all too much for her :(

I know how you feel. Bonnie was hospitalised for ten days the last time before we had to say enough was enough. She also had hereditory dental problems and just got worse and worse despite everything the vet was doing for her. We sadly lost Robert too (her brother who had the same dental issues) less than a year later.
We tried everything. It was devastating. Seeing her mouth breathing broke our hearts. Like I said, depends on the circumstances.

No and I didn't we fought to the end when his breathing got too bad with all his drugs and pain relief that he had had enough.

I also have Merlin who had clicking on the lungs and originally was not able to adopt because he was too poorly. He has had a couple of bouts of snuffles since I had him but now he has put on loads of weight and you wouldn't even know he has snuffles.

If someone is doing this then I would suggest they contact a sanctuary to take it.

Many Breeders will cull any Rabbit exhibiting signs of 'Snuffles'. In their opinion it is a waste of money treating an individual case and they believe culling will minimise the (perceived) risk to the rest of their stock.

IMO PTS would only be necessary if the Rabbit were suffering and any viable treatment options had been tried but failed.Treating 'Snuffles' usually requires a multi-faceted approach, just giving Baytril for 7-10 days is seldom of much help.

Also, Snuffles is sometimes a SECONDARY symptom of other health problems such as advanced Dental Disease. So these factors would also need to be taken into consideration.

Snuffles can become a debilitating and serious illness of chronic nature. But PTS should be a 'last resort' not a first option.

I has a bunny with Snuffles (many many years ago), I don't rememer all the details as to what he was treated with (I was only a teenager at the time). But what I can remember is that he had a variety of medicines & I monitored his wellbeing and quality of life. My other bunny who lived in close proximity (with was before the time of neutering being common) never showed any symptoms.

No no, I would not give up on a snuffles bunny...

Hannah :)

Back