• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering at 2 years old??

MillyLop

Warren Scout
I'm extremely embarassed and ashamed to say, that until now and being on this forum i didn't realise that not neutering bunnies can result in all sorts of health problems :oops: i honestly thought it was simply to prevent pregnancies, which was never an issue as we've only had 2 females.

I've asked one of my local vets when taking Miley for her Mexi jab last week if it's ok to get her neutered at 2 years old, they said it's absolutely fine. I simply wanted to check that it actually is fine, and what you have all heard and what your opinions are? is it more dangerous at this age?

They said it's going to cost £79, does this sound about right for a decent op?

They really are the best vet in the area in my opinion. When we took Miley for her jab there she got a dental check, a claw clipping and an all over check up without even having to ask!! the vets are great, both we've seen have been great with Miley whereas our closer vets i always felt like i was being rushed out the room... do you think i should ask them anyway for a quote and to ask some questions? or just go wherever we feel most comfortable?

after reading MrsBeige's thread recently and reading about the loss of her poor Crispy whilst getting neutered, it's made me more than anxious :( we've already lost our Lily, i don't know what i'd do if we lost our Miley too :cry: how many death stories have you heard? is it a dangerous op? Miley seems fine in herself, not viscous or sexual in any way, do you think it NEEDS to be done?? I cannot lose her, if i'm honest i'm terrified!!!!!! :oops::(

The risk from not spaying definitely outweighs the risk from the GA. One of mine was spayed by the rescue I got her from and she was found to have a malignant tumour in her uterus. That was a year and a half ago and she seems fine at the moment so I'm hoping they caught it in time. If she hadn't been spayed when she was I doubt we would have her for much longer :(.

You are definitely doing the right thing. With 2 females the chance of at least 1 of the dying from a preventable tumour is very high.

:wave: It's a great age to spey her, as she's unlikely to have developed any uterine problems by this age, and should be perfectly healthy .

Speying helps to prevent uterine cancers in female rabbits, which are very common in older unspeyed bunnies. It can also help to prevent large dewlaps (weight also affects this) and phantom pregnancies.

All operations and GA's carry a risk. However, if you have a vets that you trust, you are entitled to ask them what their success rate is.

you can also arrange to have some blood tests done before the procedure to ensure that there is nothing known about that could cause any problems/complications.

The risk from not spaying definitely outweighs the risk from the GA. One of mine was spayed by the rescue I got her from and she was found to have a malignant tumour in her uterus. That was a year and a half ago and she seems fine at the moment so I'm hoping they caught it in time. If she hadn't been spayed when she was I doubt we would have her for much longer :(.

You are definitely doing the right thing. With 2 females the chance of at least 1 of the dying from a preventable tumour is very high.

OMG that's made me want to pick up the phone and book her in for one right now!!! so pleased they caught your buns tumor in time!! sorry for being a noob buy what does GA stand for?

:wave: It's a great age to spey her, as she's unlikely to have developed any uterine problems by this age, and should be perfectly healthy .

Speying helps to prevent uterine cancers in female rabbits, which are very common in older unspeyed bunnies. It can also help to prevent large dewlaps (weight also affects this) and phantom pregnancies.

All operations and GA's carry a risk. However, if you have a vets that you trust, you are entitled to ask them what their success rate is.

you can also arrange to have some blood tests done before the procedure to ensure that there is nothing known about that could cause any problems/complications.

:wave: so pleased it's a good age for her to get neutered!! again i've not been on here long so sorry for being dumb, but what are large Dewlaps? and i'm guessing phantom pregnancies are where they think they're pregnant but actually not?

Thanks so much, i will ask our vets what their success rate is, and i will also definately ask for blood tests just to be absolutely sure!! :D

again i've not been on here long so sorry for being dumb, but what are large Dewlaps?

Just done a search on this and just recently, probably the last month or so i've noticed her getting a little weight under her chin, not too much at the moment... will getting her spayed now stop this getting any bigger??? :(

Yes, spaying really is for the best! I just had my almost 2 year old girls done a few weeks ago and they were fine. They have improved in the litter training department, and there has been no humping or spraying since they got home! :D

Just done a search on this and just recently, probably the last month or so i've noticed her getting a little weight under her chin, not too much at the moment... will getting her spayed now stop this getting any bigger??? :(

Yes should do, but large dewlaps can also be caused from being overweight, so maybe when you take her to the vet, check her weight :wave:

Yes should do, but large dewlaps can also be caused from being overweight, so maybe when you take her to the vet, check her weight :wave:

they checked her weight just last week and said she's all fine, very healthy. just sometimes i notice that when she's just sitting, there's this little ball of fur under her chin which just slightly sticks out.. but the vet didn't mention it so i guess i'm worrying over nothing, but i will make sure she gets spayed as soon as poss just to be sure!! and can't hurt if it helps with her litter training too :lol: thanks!! :D

I have been one of the unfortuate ones that didnt realise that buns could get cancer.

It was to late for my nearly 4 year old she die whilst being spayed as the cancer had spread to her lungs.

I now have a 16 week old doe and I will be getting her spayed as soon as she is old enough.

I have learnt so much from this forum. xx

This is comforting because our new addition is 2 and needs a spay. I was worried about her being older and i am glad i've read this.

She also has a Dewlap but doesnt seem overweight.

Back