• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Leaving Buns to go On Holiday

Gemmapookie

Wise Old Thumper
Anyone else totally freak out about leaving them?? :oops:

Im going on hols in August and I am soooooooo flippin excited, cant stop day dreaming about it, but always in the back of my mind is the fact that I'll be leaving the bunnies behind :( I have a trusted friend to look after them, who has looked after them before, but I still worry about something happening when Im not there. OH wants to go away for a week but I never go for more than 5 days :oops:

if your friend is totally trustworthy and you have been totally happy with the way she cared for them before, then i say go and have a fab time! relax! everyone deserves a holiday, and just imagine the excitement on your buns faces when you get back to see them again :D

Last holiday I had was 2 years ago and was away for 6 weeks, but OH looked after the animals.

I can't remember the last time we had a holiday together. :oops: Last overseas holiday (only overseas holiday) was 10 years ago. I thought it was 7 or 8 years ago. How time flies.

I boarded the bunnies. Didn't have the chinchillas then. My mums friend looked after our cat.

if your friend is totally trustworthy and you have been totally happy with the way she cared for them before, then i say go and have a fab time! relax! everyone deserves a holiday, and just imagine the excitement on your buns faces when you get back to see them again :D

She is trustworthy in that I know she'll look after them well but I just worry that she may not notice if one of them was poorly or something. I worry they'll get too hot and of course I cant leave the windows open when we're not here. I worry that they'll run out of hay/water in between visits :oops: All silly stuff I know, and you're totally right, everyone deserves a holiday :D

Absolutely :wave: I started a thread very similar not long ago! We are going away in September, it will be the first hol since having the buns and I'm freaking out already! I wanted to go for a week but OH wanted 2weeks :( I couldn't cope with that so we compromised on 10 days... My mum and dad will be staying at our house to look after them for a week, which is very good of them as my mum has to take hols from work :oops: but I don't think I could go otherwise! The other 3 days a work colleague is going to stay over, she loves animals but isn't used to bunnies so I'm more nervous about those days... I really need a break/hol but I'm dreading it at the same time! :?

She is trustworthy in that I know she'll look after them well but I just worry that she may not notice if one of them was poorly or something. I worry they'll get too hot and of course I cant leave the windows open when we're not here. I worry that they'll run out of hay/water in between visits :oops: All silly stuff I know, and you're totally right, everyone deserves a holiday :D

if you are worried about these things (it's not silly stuff, i would worry too!! but luckily we have a friend moving round the corner who happens to work at our local p@h!! :D) i would suggest leaving a list of things to look out for, make it simple to understand from a non bunny owners perspective. maybe leave a bit of cash and your vets number and carry cage out just incase? maybe ask that she leaves an ice pod with them each day as one of her duties if you're worried about the heat. and maybe add another water bottle to their cage and ask that she refills them all each day too?

Back