• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What foods cause the reddy orange urine?

It is true that certain foods cause this, isnt it? Marley or Dolly has has this urine for the last 12 hours.

I know carrots can cause it, but i havent fed them any for over a week as its just a treat. What other foods cause it, so if im feeding them, i can cut it out for a while.

If its not caused by any of the foods im feeding, what else could it be? :wave:

i never knew dandelions caused orange pee :shock: none of my bunfluffs have orange pee n they get danelions quite often :oops:

Ahh i forgot about dandelions. No, they havent had any of those for a few weeks either. They were on the grass all day yesterday though :oops: *face paml* I just dont think sometimes! :roll: :lol:

...There was a lot of clover, but not really any dandelions though :?
Ill just keep an eye on it. Its probably Marley, as he gets urine like this with certain foods, Dolly has never had a problem.

Various plants can cause red wee - as far as I know it's not a problem and you don't have to avoid the foods that cause it though.

White chalky wee can be a problem as it's a sign that they're having too much calcium, but red wee is just .... well, red wee. :lol::lol::lol:

Parsley / Corriander do. Quite a few plants can.

THATS IT! The corriander ive been growing looked like it was on its last legs yesterday, so they got quite a bit.

Various plants can cause red wee - as far as I know it's not a problem and you don't have to avoid the foods that cause it though.White chalky wee can be a problem as it's a sign that they're having too much calcium, but red wee is just .... well, red wee. :lol::lol::lol:

Are you sure?

How come some buns get it when others dont? :? It looks gross! :lol:

Are you sure?

:wave::wave: I found this which may put your mind at rest:
Diseases of Domestic Rabbits (1988) by Lieve Okerman contains two sentences on this subject:

"Red colour of the urine is sometimes observed in rabbits. It is probably caused by a plant pigment and does not affect the health of the animal."
Red urine is a descriptive term for the condition where a rabbit's urine varies in color from the normal pale yellow to dark yellow, carrot orange, brown, or bright red. Red urine is not a medical problem.

From here.http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-1/red-urine.html

If it affects one more than the other it's probably because one's eaten more I would think.

Various plants can cause red wee - as far as I know it's not a problem and you don't have to avoid the foods that cause it though.

White chalky wee can be a problem as it's a sign that they're having too much calcium, but red wee is just .... well, red wee. :lol::lol::lol:

Which foods are high in calcium? Barnes did a chalky wee this morning, and because he's been poorly this last week i wouldn't want to aggrivate anything.

Kale, spinach and watercress are a few that spring to mind but I'm sure there are others. I will try to find a list. ;)

Back