• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

making an aviary in an alley way (video added)

VikkiVet

Mama Doe
Hi, has anyone ever done this? I have a large space down the side of my new house and I'd like to convert it into a play area by putting aviary panels around the sides and something - corrugated plastic? - on the roof.

How have you done this? how much did it cost?

The alleyway is concrete - as they are rexes will I need to cover it in lino/rubber matting?

Here is a video of the space - I haven't measured it yet though.

Last edited:
Hi - Sounds a great idea! My rex lives happily on concrete - never had sore hocks - guess it would depend if they were prone to them or not.

My aviaries aren't attached to the house, but I can't see why it wouldn't work as long as water isn't allowed to drain onto the brickwork...I suppose it would be like a small carport type set-up.

You should look to pay about £12-15 per aviary panel if you want all-wire panels (more for all/half boarded). Door panels are slightly more. Corrugated roof will be about a tenner a sheet, so depends how many you need.

The member MPHF on here did something with her alleyway using an aviary. It might be worth reading her threads and seeing if there are any pics of the completed thing on there.

I have a similar (but smaller) configuration that I've considered doing this to, but blocking my side access has put me off (for carrying through garden equipment etc) . I presume you,ve accounted for that somehow, good luck with your plan, look forward to the pics!!:wave:

I was thinking of putting door panels at each end of the aviary so things could be carried through, or using the fence with the garden gate in it as one wall, just making sure its secure along the bottom.

If I use the existing walls and fence I'd only really need a roof and some panels with a door for the near end to make an enclosure, which would be cheaper and easier to take down again.

Back