• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

choking...coughing or throat problem?

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
since we adopted bluebell shes had a problem every now and then...she gulps down too much and it goes down the wrong way..and she kind of coughs.

its not very often...maybe once a fortnight...seems ok..her lungs sound clear the vets have said. But after losing her sister like we did and bluebells many bouts of unexplained pyrexia (abnormally high fever of no obvious cause) and anorexia have been a worry.

shes getting ill again...shes attacking the cats again....she obviously feels threatened when shes ill and attacks them for no reason. when shes better shes ok.the odd lunge but thats all..they might be eating her food or touching her bertie:oops::lol:

well last night we decided shes in need of meds....metacam..metaclop and panacur......except she fought so hard..the metaclop went down too fast..she was sat upright on the settee not on her back i hasten to add.
She did the coughing thing for a minute or so...then ran off on the cat hunt:love:..up the stairs..down again...ate drank washed bertie..humped bertie...seemed ok..then she lay in the litter tray dead stil and kept "coughing" intermittantly.

2 different vets both said if it was aspiration of medecine they couldnt help her anyway:shock::(

she had two coughs then a break of maybe 10 mins..maybe half an hour..but she was still lucid.
the second practice vet was lovely...said if no change in hour then rush her in...or if shes still like it but not bad then bring her in then.
The one thing both vets did mention is that it maybe her throat not a cough....some weird gag type reflex...poss a pouch grown in her throat:shock:

i have been watching her all day and not heard anymore noises..luckily!!

but i will ring vets monday to see one of the bunvets at emsworth...bertie needs his ducts flushing and maybe another lot of depocillin or a few alomyacin jabs.

its so odd..ive never heard another bun do this...anyone?

Dylan sounds like he is choking after I give him his metacam. The first time it happened it terrified me but it passed very quickly and he was busy nomming his supper. He always seems to cough/sneeze after his meds but is fine afterwards. I meant to ask the vet next time I was in but was so distraught yesterday with Tabitha I didn't remember:(

It is a difficult noise to describe - it's not a cough and not a sneeze exactly - very odd. He doesn't get it at any other time but after his meds - when he noms or drinks he is absolutely fine.

karen hun ((HUGS)) yes it must be a similar type of noise..like a cross between a sneeze and a cough:wave:

yep big blue goes back to her nomming once the worst wears off.

i have my gp appt..finally...i booked in to find they couldnt slot me in before 4th july...weeks ago.....good job its not serious then:roll::lol:

im going to make an appt for bluebell and bertie to see sasski or claire at emsworth....berties in need of tearduct flushing...which he just sits there and lets them do........and i think we are going to have to see what tests are available for bluebell...even if it means a GA......its always a worry as her odd bouts of fever too make me wonder if her and her sis developed a mild form of pasturella from the long journey here:(
But if dazy-mae died from an unknown reason for the resp failure....i guess its not pasturella....not like bertie has anyway.

she needs her nails clipping and teeth checking...a GA will be needed for that..the moo:lol::lol:

shes been in hiding all day..she was running riot all night till bout 9 or 10am today:oops:

Back