• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Finally booked Matilda in for her spay, have afew questions tho...

emmiiee

Warren Veteran
Ekk finally got the courage and booked her in for this tuesday! (5th) am soo soo nervous for her!! I have a few questions, if anyone knoews the anwers..

this is her current set up, an indoor cage linked to a pen. After her spay should I shut the cage and just let her have the pen area? as im worried as she jumps in and out it might hurt her, or pull her stitches or something??

261463_2240738256592_1192116864_2736409_4080712_n.jpg

Also what should I expect after her spay, like anything that I should expect to see or for her to do.

And how soon after her spay can I re bond her with Gracie??

My plan was to wait untill I get Gracie spayed in sept/oct time but she has had a HUGE growth spurt and is only in a small cage the same one she was in from 4 weeks old

So going to have to re bond her with Matilda so they can have more space, how long should I leave it after Matildas spay before her hormones settle etc?

Any other useful tips to make Matildas spay more comfy for her are gratly welcome!!

xx

They are not allowed to jump after the spay-this is because it could tear the wound/stitches- so do not let her jump out of the cage.
I think this is for 10 days but maybe someone who has had a bun spayed more recently can confirm this? Cage rest is important.

The first 48hrs they must be kept indoors and warm- the first night you must keep an eye on her that she doesn't get cold.

Get plenty of small towels and newspaper ready as she will not be allowed on hay at first because it could stick in the wound and cause infection.

Make sure the vet gives her pain relief(usually metacam but there are other types)
Bunnies must not be starved prior to spay.
this link may help?
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=294569

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=84269
sue:wave:

please also be aware that you may be able to let both bonded bunnies go in together to the vets.

Last edited:
They are not allowed to jump after the spay-this is because it could tear the wound/stitches- so do not let her jump out of the cage.
I think this is for 10 days but maybe someone who has had a bun spayed more recently can confirm this? Cage rest is important.

The first 48hrs they must be kept indoors and warm- the first night you must keep an eye on her that she doesn't get cold.

Get plenty of small towels and newspaper ready as she will not be allowed on hay at first because it could stick in the wound and cause infection.

Make sure the vet gives her pain relief(usually metacam but there are other types)
Bunnies must not be starved prior to spay.
this link may help?
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=294569

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=84269
sue:wave:

please also be aware that you may be able to let both bonded bunnies go in together to the vets.

Hey thanks for the reply! She's already an indoor bun and on fleece so that's all sorted!

She's not bonded with anyone yet! I want to re-bond her with her daughter gracie

I'd shut her in the cage for 2/3 days, then gradually let her have time in the pen :wave: I found mine really wanted out after 3 days and were going stir crazy!

Otherwise, all the other advice above is spot on! :D

I'd shut her in the cage for 2/3 days, then gradually let her have time in the pen :wave: I found mine really wanted out after 3 days and were going stir crazy!

Otherwise, all the other advice above is spot on! :D

She hatess being shut in her cage tho! I only do it when I clean the pen out and she hates in bites and pings the bars etc!!

Oo and loving ur new sig!!

She hatess being shut in her cage tho! I only do it when I clean the pen out and she hates in bites and pings the bars etc!!

Oo and loving ur new sig!!

for the first two days she wont really want to move so I dont think she will mind being shut in the cage

she looks soooo much like my yuri

yurifloor.png

Back