• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Picking up

TriL1

Warren Scout
Does anyone else have trouble picking their bunny up? I do pick him up but always tries to run away or really tries to kick his legs, I know the bunnies breeder said she didnt handle him much but we do have alot of time with him, will this get easier?:(

Is he neutered? How long has he been with you?

Many bunnies simply do not like being picked up, they are prey animals so panic when picked up. I have one bun who tolerates it and one who wiggles and kicks and tries to bite. It is best to bond with a bunny on his level, get on the floor and read a book, let him come to you :)

Hi ya, no he isnt neutered, he is going in next fri to have the op. His fine stroking him and when I come near he does his boxing stance as well, he loves his nose stroked and nearly his whole front body lays down while stroking him, but its just the picking up thats a nightmare, sometimes its not so bad but today he did the extra kicking, which Im trying to be as careful as I can as I was trying to put him back in his cage, I know they hurt themselfs more if you hold them wrong. So he could calm a bit when his neutered or could just possibly always be like this?x

Hopscotch will not be picked up! He can handle it for a few seconds at most and then he gets cross! Best not to bother unless 100% necessary IMO :)

He might calm down a little yes, but he may never like to be picked up. That is just something you will need to accept :wave:

I have one who loves it. I have one who hates it.

The one who hates it i don't try to pick him up, a lot of the time there shouldn't be any need to.

Rabbits are rabbits, naturally, they hate being picked up, as that would be something that would occur by a predatory event.

If he doesn't like it, i certainly wouldn't force the matter

I find that mine like to picked up differently ie, buzz likes to be facing forward whereas lady likes you to hold her to your chest. Don't have problems with carrying any of mine though buzz is a bit of a wriggler

How do you hold your rabbit ?
Do you put a hand under their bum to support it ??
Asking because if you don't all their weight hangs off
:oops:

Back