• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

recurring poorly tum - advice and help please

JLG

Mama Doe
:wave: Hi All, apologies for the long post but I'd appreciate your advice. In May Kane had a really bad stasis :( and was hospitalised (with Sparkle) for 4 days. He has made a full recovery and been fine ever since :D (touch wood etc etc).
However, in the past 3 weeks Sparkle has now had 4 evening episodes where she goes and lies down, stretched out, looking miserable and refuses to eat. On each occasion I have given her some of the remaining Zantac I had for Kane, tried my best to do tummy rubs (she is NOT a snuggle bun! :roll:) and encouraged her to move about a bit.
She did flinch a bit when I was trying to rub her tummy but that may have been just because she hates being handled. Last night, which was the latest episode, I heard a gurgle as I massaged her tum and she gave a tiny squeak. Fortunately she has recovered overnight each time but I am concerned as to why this is starting to happen. :?
Nothing at all changes in their routine or food - they have ad lib hay and a good variety of wild stuff and are in their grass run every day for about 10 hours with morning and evening free ranging for about 5 hours in total.
They have been doing alot of grooming since they came back from hospital and I wonder if the hair (they are rexes and are currently moulting) is causing some gas for her? kanes x-rays showed a build up of hair in his gut and some big areas of gas but he showed different sypmtoms and was very hunched up.
Any suggestions please? Is Zantac ok to use for this, or should I be stocking up on something else for such emergencies? they are due their vaccs this month so I will probably take them sooner rather than later and they will get full health/teeth checks while they are there.

thanks everyone :p

Zantac is a gut stimulator so you are using it in the right manner but I would be inclined not to give any meds that had been prescribed for a different bun to any other bun without consulting a vet first. I don't want to critise or frighten you but if say she had a true obstruction rather than gas I believe that gut meds could possibly make things worse not better.

It would possibly be a good idea to have a vet look at her, especially the teeth, any kind of pain can but a bun off eating and some are far more sensitive than others. Even the tinyiest spur can set some off.

Another possibilty is stress. Has anything unusual been going on lately.

Hope she is better soon.

Zantac is a gut stimulator so you are using it in the right manner but I would be inclined not to give any meds that had been prescribed for a different bun to any other bun without consulting a vet first. I don't want to critise or frighten you but if say she had a true obstruction rather than gas I believe that gut meds could possibly make things worse not better.

It would possibly be a good idea to have a vet look at her, especially the teeth, any kind of pain can but a bun off eating and some are far more sensitive than others. Even the tinyiest spur can set some off.

Another possibilty is stress. Has anything unusual been going on lately.

Hope she is better soon.

I agree with this. Personally I would want her examined by a Vet ASAP. Much information can be obtained from a thorough examination of the abdomen. For example are there any abnormal areas of thickening or masses ?
Giving any medication without really knowing what the problem is can do more harm than good.

Hopefully your Vet will be able to establish what is going on and then prescribe appropriate treatment.

The other thing to mention is that Zantac alone will not address any issues of pain. So again a Vet consult is essential to ensure that appropriate analgesia is given when necessary

Good luck :)

thank you both. I was trying not to panic or be paranoid after Kane being poorly (you know what it's like after you've had a sick bunny) but they will be going for vaccs and check-ups etc next week. She is usually a very tough girl so there must be something going on.

thank you both. I was trying not to panic or be paranoid after Kane being poorly (you know what it's like after you've had a sick bunny) but they will be going for vaccs and check-ups etc next week. She is usually a very tough girl so there must be something going on.

I would not leave it til next week tbh :?

Back