• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outdoor to Indoor

TriL1

Warren Scout
If I have an outdoor rabbit, would they be ok if I at some point changed for them to be indoor rabbits? or would the change in temperature make them ill, as some say if they were born outdoors they should stay outdoors? ??? Also if they did come indoors what do you need to do in sense of bunny proofing?x

If I have an outdoor rabbit, would they be ok if I at some point changed for them to be indoor rabbits? or would the change in temperature make them ill, as some say if they were born outdoors they should stay outdoors? ??? Also if they did come indoors what do you need to do in sense of bunny proofing?x

Hello,
Yes it is fine, if a outdoor rabbit converts into an indoor rabbit.
The process of moving them in has to be gradual [so maybe bring them in the house for 10 minutes each day, for them to get used to it]

Bunny proofing:
Have a look at this thread :)
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=289894&highlight=Proof

i adopted one of my bunnies in the coldest winter month and she became a house bunny from an outdoor bunny, she was fine... bit nervous for a few weeks while she got used to house life and us and she moulted all the winter coat almost straight away :wave:

I would bring them indoors at the point when indoor and outdoor temps are as close as poss, ie. about now. The less change you can make with temp the better.

Whitehood's linked to my proofing thread but there are also other examples in the sticky in the Housing part of the forum.

I would bring them indoors at the point when indoor and outdoor temps are as close as poss, ie. about now. The less change you can make with temp the better.

Whitehood's linked to my proofing thread but there are also other examples in the sticky in the Housing part of the forum.

This is a great idea.

This is when we put Lucky from an indoor bun to living in the outhouse too. He coped fine with the move.

:wave: hiya!! we're in the process of gradually bringing our outdoor bun indoors at the moment :) we've been bringing her indoors every night for about 3-4 hours, and each morning for about an hour (she loves it indoors :D) we're getting her a cage but it will just be her base where she eats, pees and poops, she will be allowed to free range our living room 24/7. we are making sure all cables are covered or can't be reached, as far as bunny proofing this is the most important as if they bite through a live wire they can get really hurt :( also try not to have heavy objects around that your bun could pull down on top of them i.e vases.

also nice to see another essex girl on here :lol::D

Thats brilliant, thank you everyone! Hope all goes well with your move of your buns.x:wave::D

Back