• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Natural rabbit noms.

rolo

Alpha Buck
Morning all:p

Have been feeding Rolo-bun some natural stuff for the past week. You know, seasonal things. Such as hawthorne, roses, early blackberries, clover etc etc. And I think he much prefers it to the usual supermarket fridge stuff.

So, thought I'd try to keep it going until the frost comes and kills off most of the seasonl food. But does anyone know if I can feed him other plants. Ive looked about on the web and alot of rabbit sites contradict one another.

Heres a list of the things growing in the lane near us. Is there anything on there he could safely nom?

Acorns
Crab apples (&leaves)
Sweet chestnut
Autumn flowers like Chrysanthamum
Sycamore seeds
Sticky bud plant
Privet
Hunnysuckle

And anything anyone might know about.

Thanks

Rach x (and Rolo)

Crab apple branches are good to gnaw on.
My old buns used to love holly and mahonia (similar to holly and known as rabbit tonic). Always amazed me how they ate the prickly leaves. They loved the mahonia so much my large shrub ended up looking like a tree with all the bottom branches nommed.

Have a look at this thread:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=274136

for ideas. Of the ones you mentioned above, the sticky bud plant is ok *if* it's the one commonly known as sticky willy, or goosegrass, or cleavers - its proper name is Galium aparine, google it for pics to compare with the one you have.

Crab apple leaves and branches are fine

I wouldn't feed privet or acorns, and not sre about the rest

If you're new to foraging for wild foods I would strongly recommend getting a good reference book as there are some poisonous plants which appear similar to edible ones

Have fun :wave:

Back