• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

At emergency vets with Beano - U/D: Home and settled

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
:cry: I feel so bad, I have been out all day whilst Beano has been poorly for I don't know how long :cry: She was fine this morning, ate her breakfast and got as excited as normal. I went out at 10:30 and when I got back this evening, she was at the mesh door of her shed like she usually would've been but Gordon wasn't with her which was a bit odd. I noticed straight away she was lied funny, her back end was stuck out and flattend against the floor. She just didn't look right. I went in and she ran to a corner under the table the guinea's cage is on and lied out there. I saw a couple of wee marks in, one in that corner like she'd been sat there and not even tried to get up to the litter tray. She didn't grunt at me or bite me wich is very strange for her, she went in their crate but lied out there. She kept doing this, wouldn't eat and was very much not herself, her eyes were dull and she wouldn't move. :cry: The vet receptionist was lovely and said I could take her down straight away, she knew she needed to be seen. The vet was great too, he seemed very rabbit savvy and checked all things possible. She's been given an injection which lasts for 24 hours (not sure what it's called as I'll be getting the bill and receipt tomorrow) and has been given fibreplex and is going back tomorrow. She wouldn't get out the carrier when we got in, and didn't put up a fuss going in it which is so unlike her, and hasn't moved from where I left her after giving her her fibreplex and she isn't looking at anything, she wasn't interested in what I was doing when I was sweeping the shed when she'd normally be grunting at the brush :cry: Gordon seems to not know how to act, he is sat next to her but keeps looking at her and licking her, ans she won't respond. :cry: She was all her favourite foods in with her, has been given her meds. :cry: I need vibes please, this is so not like her :cry:

Last edited:
So sorry to hear this Liz. I hope she's ok. I assume the vet has given her pain relief. Ideally she would have some gut stimulant too. Fluids are important and so try her with some watery foods if you can i.e. cucumber, pepper. Stay clear of gassy foods like cabbage, broc, cauli etc. Have you any herbs? Also fresh grass, dandelion, bramble, plantain - all things which can get buns eating again.

Make sure her temp is ok. Feel inside her ears.

Vibes for Beano xx

Last edited:
Thankyou everyone. Fluffers, the vet said the injection contains pain relief and gut stimlant, but I can't remember the name but it will be on the reciept which I will get tomorrow. She has her favourite veg, which is all washed and has some cucumber and green pepper for water but she is not even looking at the food. She has been offered grass, dandelion leaves and plants and a herb mixture that I bought for Gordon's birthday. None has even turned her head. :cry: The vet checked her temperature, he said it was normal. Her ears feel normal, I compared them to Gordon's too. She was lied just were I'd left her, not turning her head to look at me and shown no interest in food. She got up and hopped slowly and just sat more hunched than normal, with her eyes open but not actually looking at anything. She has been given all her meds for today, has food and fresh water to tempt her and Gordon by her side. Is there anything else I can do? I can't stand seeing her like this when she's usually so 'upbeat' :cry: :cry:

Lots of get well vibes xxxxx

Is she warm enough? Clo had to go to the vets with tummy troubles tonight, and he only really picked up after being wrapped in a fleecy blanket for some tummy rubs. Now he won't stop eating :shock:

Liz only just got in and seen this..really hope she soon picks up
if she hasn't eaten anything by morning I'd ask for fluids to be given by vet..have you tried syringe feeding her?
lots of get well vibes for her xx

I think you've done everything you can for now Liz. As Jill says, try syringe feeding her if you can. The vet may need to x-ray & look for a blockage or gas?

Hope she improves overnight (hugs) xx

Thankyou everyone, I really apprechiate it. I have been sat out with her talking to her but left her to get some peace. She had a few sips of water which I'm pleased with but no interest in food or much water. Is fibreplex some kind of food? It says on the packet it contains fibre. She'd had some of that. When she goes to the vets tomorrow if no/not much improvement has been made they will then see what else to do, which I imagine that means X raying etc, if not I will mention it. xx

Thankyou everyone, I really apprechiate it. I have been sat out with her talking to her but left her to get some peace. She had a few sips of water which I'm pleased with but no interest in food or much water. Is fibreplex some kind of food? It says on the packet it contains fibre. She'd had some of that. When she goes to the vets tomorrow if no/not much improvement has been made they will then see what else to do, which I imagine that means X raying etc, if not I will mention it. xx

I hope she's picked up by then Liz, keep us updated. xx

if she still isn't eating or drinking they may offer x rays to check what is going on inside..but ask for sub cut fluids as she will need fluid support by then but many vets don't offer it
Good luck x

oh no...sending loads vibes for Beano....:(

You could try a tiny tiny tiny bit of honey or apple juice in with some water to make it taste nicer than plain water to get her to drink a little more....but of course make sure she has her usual bowl of plain water too.

Im ever so sorry...not sure what else to suggest...:?

So sorry to hear this. Did your vet rule out a blockage? If so then syringe feeding recovery will help - providing she had a gut stimulant (mataclopromide is the most common, Zantac is also used).

Without ruling out a blockage it is dangerous to syringe feed. If she is anorexic, with or without a blockage fluids will help. Have you syringing fluids? Cooled boiled water is best, if you have any bio-lapis that will also help.

I have found that bunnies in GI stasis can be persuaded to eat dandelion and this is an appetite stimulant, I have also used blackberry leaves as these ease the gut. I tend to wave them around bunnies mouth to stimulate them. Worst case scenario I have put leaves inside their mouth -however do not attempt this if she is stressed.

If I'm absolutely honest I would get another opinion if you are worried about her tonight. The main reason being is that if there is no blockage then syringe feeding every few hours will make all the difference, but if there is a blockage then this can be fatal. You need to know.

Sending loads of get well vibes her way x

Back