• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bathing a bunny??

Grin

Wise Old Thumper
Urgent advice needed!! I've been advised i can bath a bunny in lukewarm water as she's staying indoors. Is this true or dangerous? The vets assistant seemed to think it was important in this weather to make sure she's clean due to risk of flystrike? Would appreciate input. :wave:

Is she soiled? Depending on how bad it is you can do it with cotton wool and lukewarm water, rather than batheing in a bowl of water, if you see what I mean? You can also use cornflour instead as a dry bath - if she is wet from urine rather than dirty with poo. It doesnt get it out as well as clean water would but it is good at drying things off and soothes the skin too, as well as cleaning it up a bit.

Depends how bad she is, if a babywipe, damp cottom wool or some chalk and a grooming brush can't get any soiling out of the fur they you may have to resort to bathing, only do the bits that need it though, I had to bathe Rory and after a long time spent trying to dry him with a quiet hairdryer, and a few hours out in the sun he still wasn't properly dry :roll:

Bathing a rabbit should come with a health warning....

:lol::lol::lol:

She was stinking. Pretty sure it was just wee though. I put her in a luke warm bowl with a depth of about 2inches. She didnt move the whole time but wee'd on me when she came out. It might have been fright. I've left her in a darkened quiet room with a blanket over one side of the dog crate to settle.

Glad you have managed to clean her.

Just make sure you have got her thoroughly dry cos they can get cold really easily when their bots are wet. Sorry if thats patronising - I am sure you know that already but thought I would say.

Glad you have managed to clean her.

Just make sure you have got her thoroughly dry cos they can get cold really easily when their bots are wet. Sorry if thats patronising - I am sure you know that already but thought I would say.

Thank you. I was pretty sure that was the reason why they couldnt be bathed. I knew i wasnt going mad!! Lol!! She seems fine now. Settled and has eaten a little. I think i love her already! :oops:

I had to bath matilda twice weekly after she gave birth as she was incontinace! it wasn't nice for both of us but needed doing!! just make sure you have water proof clothing on aha u are likely to get a shower!!

I had to bath matilda twice weekly after she gave birth as she was incontinace! it wasn't nice for both of us but needed doing!! just make sure you have water proof clothing on aha u are likely to get a shower!!

I got weed on too. :lol: Poor thing. x

I used to have to bath Topsy because she suffered from sticky bum fairly frequently. Just bathed her back end in warm water. I added a tiny, tiny amount of a mild (baby) shampoo. She struggled like mad the first couple of times and I got a shower in dirty water, but she did get used to it. All the other buns I've had have been able to keep themselves clean, so I wouldn't bath them. Drying her off properly was a nightmare though, I did try to be really careful especially in the winter.

Back