• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need help on bonding babies

beccalillynick

Warren Scout
In 12 days time I will be picking up my beautiful Netherland Dwarf, she will be 9 weeks old and will coming home to Bobby, who by then will be just under 11 weeks old. What am I supposed to do with regards to bonding? Will there be many issues at this age? I have never had 2 rabbits before so I have no idea what I should and shouldnt be doing, so any help, tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. I know I have a while yet but I want to make sure I know what I am doing and have everything ready. thank you :wave:

Is the male bunny (Bobby?) to be neutered?

If not, i would keep them very much seperated until he has been and the doe has been spayed. The last thing you want is babies.

Is the male bunny (Bobby?) to be neutered?

If not, i would keep them very much seperated until he has been and the doe has been spayed. The last thing you want is babies.

They are both due to be neutered as soon as they are old enough :D Bobby will be done first and then Pixie

Hello,
Its great you are bonding a male and female as this combination works best and is more loving .
Many people believe before bonding rabbits they should be neutered or spayed.
Male rabbits (bucks) can be neutered at 5 months or as soon as their balls drop.
Female rabbits (does) can be spayed at 6 months or as soon as they are 1kg depending on your vet.
Neutering helps the bond in so many ways, when neutered they won't be hormonal, they won't have accident litters, and if neutered will be more healthier and will be protected against testical or uterine cancer.

If you decide you would like to bond after both rabbits are neutered then that will be great you won't be taking a risk of them having a hormonal fight then later on not bonding.

If you decide you are going to bond now then that's up to you, they are your rabbits, if you bond now when they are still young then make sure when your male is 4 months get him neutered (or as soon as his balls drop).
Then when your female is either 1kg or 6 months get her spayed.
Hopefully after they have been neutered they'll remain bonded :)

This is how to bond :)

Equipment:
Neutral space (a room where neither rabbits has ever been or seen, this is where the bonding will need to take place as neither rabbits can fight over territory which isn't theirs)
A puppy pen, you need to set one up in the neutral room it has to be small about 4ft x 2ft - if you already have a puppy pen then you'll need to adjust it(take some panels out) so its roughly 4x2 ft, if you've used the panels before neutralise them by spraying them with a vinagar solution to eliminate any existing rabbit smells.
Hay should be scattered over the floor to distract the rabbits from each other
Hay is the only thing that should be in the pen other than the two rabbits, no food bowl either.
If you need to feed pellets scatter them same applies with veg
Rabbits ignoring each other is a good sign
Keep a broom with you to move a bun back if he is going to fight push him and hold him back from the other rabbit for 10 seconds and then release.
Mounting,chasing,circling is all normal behaviour
Rabbitd mount to show dominance they won't be sex mounting yet they're to small :p
You have to supervise them for 3 days since the moment you put them in the pen.
You can't leave :) you have to sleep there too
After 3 days if mounting etc. Has stopped then keep them there one more day then move to the hutch (which will need to be neutralised thouroughly with the vinegar solution :)

This is how to bond :)

Equipment:
Neutral space (a room where neither rabbits has ever been or seen, this is where the bonding will need to take place as neither rabbits can fight over territory which isn't theirs)
A puppy pen, you need to set one up in the neutral room it has to be small about 4ft x 2ft - if you already have a puppy pen then you'll need to adjust it(take some panels out) so its roughly 4x2 ft, if you've used the panels before neutralise them by spraying them with a vinagar solution to eliminate any existing rabbit smells.
Hay should be scattered over the floor to distract the rabbits from each other
Hay is the only thing that should be in the pen other than the two rabbits, no food bowl either.
If you need to feed pellets scatter them same applies with veg
Rabbits ignoring each other is a good sign
Keep a broom with you to move a bun back if he is going to fight push him and hold him back from the other rabbit for 10 seconds and then release.
Mounting,chasing,circling is all normal behaviour
Rabbitd mount to show dominance they won't be sex mounting yet they're to small :p
You have to supervise them for 3 days since the moment you put them in the pen.
You can't leave :) you have to sleep there too
After 3 days if mounting etc. Has stopped then keep them there one more day then move to the hutch (which will need to be neutralised thouroughly with the vinegar solution :)

Oh dear ha, that sounds complicated. Thanks for your help. I will get Bobby done as soon as he is old enough, the vets I am taking him to do all the neutering for the local RSPCA's so they are used to rabbits.
If Bobby is too young for sexual behaviour amd they will both be too young to breed, what are the issues with bonding them before they get neutured? :)

If you decide you are going to bond now then that's up to you, they are your rabbits, if you bond now when they are still young then make sure when your male is 4 months get him neutered (or as soon as his balls drop).
Then when your female is either 1kg or 6 months get her spayed.
Hopefully after they have been neutered they'll remain bonded :)

If you bond now, you risk pregnancy!!! Male rabbits can be fertile before their testicles drop and females are fertile before 6 months old. Rabbit's need to be kept in separate sexes after 10 weeks.

My suggestion would be to keep them separate and then neuter the male as soon as his testicles appear. If that is done early you could consider bonding then, or wait until the female is done too.

If you bond now, you risk pregnancy!!! Male rabbits can be fertile before their testicles drop and females are fertile before 6 months old. Rabbit's need to be kept in separate sexes after 10 weeks.

My suggestion would be to keep them separate and then neuter the male as soon as his testicles appear. If that is done early you could consider bonding then, or wait until the female is done too.

So if I keep them seperate but so that they can see eachother for a few weeks until Bobby has been done and recovered then this would be the best way to go?

Yes, that would work well. You should find being young and having lived close they should bond easily :)

Back