• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

URGENT HELP NEEDED GI STASIS Possibly Vet recommendation Isle of Wight:(

RalphyPie

New Kit
Hi,
Sorry this is my 1st post and a little rushed:

, i am on the isle of wight with a sick bunny you see and i need to urgently know who is best vet to take him to.
He hasnt passed any poop or eaten for 30 hours now, took him as an emergency to my vet in wootton at 1am last night/this morning [medina vet care] and the australian vet said that he hadnt seen many rabbits - he did his best and gave Ralphy something to help with gut motility and an antibiotic but he didnt really know what the problem was. Ralphy has got worse if anything so just wanted to get a recommendation for a vet if anyone here is on the isle of wight (ryde) . Pets at home recommended 'Green and Forster' at carisbrooke and i must say we used them a few years ago with our ducks and they were great - who do you use please? so grateful for any help -I think little ralphy has stasis in his gut and must get treatment within the next few hours so I hope you get this asap!
Many thanks
Glen on the isle of wight - ryde.

Glen, I do not know of any vets in your area but am bumping this for you!
It sounds like Ralphy is in a bad way, I hope you have a reply very soon, be strong little fella!

I'm really sorry to hear your bunny is so poorly. I hope you can get a recommendation for a vet on the IOW.

Just wondered if your vet gave any pain relief at all? Sometimes when buns have stasis it is secondary to there being pain. He may also need some fluids and or syringe feeding - depending on whether has been checked for any blockage or bloating?

I hope you can manage to get him seen again by a vet asap for advice - as obviously I am only saying what my bunnies have had when in stasis, and only a rabbit-savvy vet can give you the medical advice you need for your own bunny.

Hiya, you need to find a rabbit savy vet asap.

I am no vet, but I have a mother and son who go into stasis regularly.
This is what works for them: 1-2 ml Infacol every hour depending on severity of bloat. I usually do this for 2-3 hours (so they get 4-6 ml Infacol)
I also give them ( this you need to be careful with and check with your vet) 1ml paraffin oil to get the gut moving asap and 1-2ml rap seed oil. I then wait for a while,if there is no improvement I increase the dosis.

I know my bunnies very well and know exactly how to interpret their symptoms.
Pls find a vet asap. Infacol is probably the only thing which will not cause any damage.
Pls have your bunny x-rayed to find out the real cause!
It could be a tumor, a hair ball etc.

Sending your bunny strong vibes.

arrrghhgh no thank you all the arrghg was the situation the help is accepted with gratitude
found vet good vet i think she said feed with rabbit recovery supremem science gunk - 20mg in powder x4 packs spread over 24 hours managed to syringe in 1 pack so far in14 hours rabbit just fights it all the way so i dont know what to do trying my best for the little fella.
told vet i would pay any amount of money to get the poor blighter fixed up good and healthy but its alot upto the rabbit now
its 5am dont know what i am going to find downstairs, poor little sod he has a great life, totally fee in the front room no cages - spent a blummn £1000 making it rabbit proof - wood floor, cable hiding all the works for him, so special, so sad. 40 year old bloke in tears here just want him to be ok ::((((
come on ralphypie, my best buddy in the world right now come on man, just start eating and pooping like a trooper like u used to do......
gonna try some more gunk, vet said xray this morning at 9am if no better - said needed anaesthetic to xray. Anaesthetics and bunnies not good i hear.
Damn Damn Damn Damn Damn Damn screw nature sometimes. loose dad to cancer looked after him 24/7 8 months still dies in fecking agony now my little ralphypie is going too.
Don't much care right now if i follow them,
Sorry you dont need this nonesence on your forum as a first and second posy thanks everyone for your help here - special people and animal lovers all round. appreciated.
Glen

Poor Ralphy, I hope he is feeling better soon. With the recovery food, just feed little bits at a time. Has he eaten anything apart from the recovery? Have you tried fresh herbs as sometimes these can tempt a bunny to nibble.

Normal treatment for stasis is a gut motility drug (sometimes two) and painkillers to get things going again.

We have another member from the IoW who actually works for the RSPCA, I don't know how often she's on but I'll send her a message for you :wave:

Also, did the vet tell you if there was a mass in his stomach? When Oidhche had this we were advised to very gently massage the area to try and break it up, it did seem to give her some relief. Just little belly strokes, nothing rough at all.

Glen, you can let it all out on here as much as you need to, first post, second post, thousandth post, no one minds!!

Sounds like you've had an awful time of it.

Hugs for you and vibes and noserubs for little Ralph. Sounds like he has an AWESOME home.

xx

We have a member from the Isle of Wight who hasn't posted in a while but did have a vet she loved.

Here's her thread mentioning him:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=240376&highlight=georgie_f+twitchitt

I did a quick search for you and this is the practice:

http://www.petdoctors.co.uk/

Obviously, I've not used them myself but Georgie had quite a few buns so it might be worth giving them a call.

Hope your bun feels better soon.

X

Sorry, I missed this when I posted :oops:

Glen, the person you got a PM from is the Georgie that dizzyg and I were talking about :wave:

nice people here, i'd nominate this place for an compassion award but i've only been here a day and I cant think of any at the moment ;)
fell asleep after seeing ralphy at 5am and managing to get some gloop into him poor ****** has less fight each time - going to drive to newport and the lass from rspca has been in touch ;;;

thnaks everyone godda go
love you all - Really do.
Glenxx

Let us know how he is getting on. Is he back at the vets today? If so let us know how that went, when you have time. We are all rooting for you and your little guy and here to help in any way we can! :wave:

Let us know how he is getting on. Is he back at the vets today? If so let us know how that went, when you have time. We are all rooting for you and your little guy and here to help in any way we can! :wave:

ThaNKS and all you caring people for help and suggestions - taking the ralphy-pie monster back at 2.30 fingers and everything crossed, tough wood, thrown salt over shoulder, no walking under a ladder amd pray to the gods of rabbit health from me and it seems like you all too - that is reassuring in itself folks, so thanks again,

Ill be back and i pray it is with the little 'pie :(

XX

Sending good luck vibes for the vet trip and remember if there is anything you are unsure of, ask the vet to clarify, dont be afraid to ask all the questions you need to.

Really hope little Ralphy-Pie will be alright. I will try to check back on this thread this evening to find out how he is.

Sending good luck vibes for the vet trip and remember if there is anything you are unsure of, ask the vet to clarify, dont be afraid to ask all the questions you need to.

Really hope little Ralphy-Pie will be alright. I will try to check back on this thread this evening to find out how he is.

THANK YOU ALL

He is eating some dandelions and his water voluntarily now and slowly getting back to the utterly crazy ralphie-monster-pie I love !

Folks, all of you i want to offer a heartfelt thanks, kept me and the little ralphie going at 5am reading your replies and good wishes at what was a very dark time.
Jeez being an animal lover aint easy sometimes but I would not change that for anything.

Long and good and binky-filled health to you and all your little bunnies :)

Thanks again :)

Glen and the spectacular and hoppin' mad Ralphie-Pie, a very silly and happy and recovering wabbit:)

Aw thats a nice update to read, I am glad he is starting to feel better. Sometimes it can take a little while for things to get back on an even keel, so please come back and ask any advice you need to.

Hope you stick around on the forum, it would be nice to see some pics of Ralphy-Pie :)

All the best for now. :wave:

Aw thats a nice update to read, I am glad he is starting to feel better. Sometimes it can take a little while for things to get back on an even keel, so please come back and ask any advice you need to.

Hope you stick around on the forum, it would be nice to see some pics of Ralphy-Pie :)

All the best for now. :wave:

You are on for that and as I was typing my previous message I was just thinking the same - now i have a little more experience with rabbit problems than I did before I thought it would be a good idea to stick around here just on the offchance that someone else may need help with similar wabbity problems.

I am no vet but I'd be happy to help anyone else if i could.
Computers are my job so perhaps I could repay the kindness shown here by helping anyone that might need it with their pcs or laptops.
In fact it'd be more than a pleaaure to help anyway i can in the future.

Top, top forum but without it's members it would not exist so - a heartfelt thanks to all that helped me and Ralphy

Great stuff and pictures to follow of the little lop-eared dwarf-wabbit - be good to share him with fellow wabbit lovers:)

Have a good weekend, fingers crossed Ralphy is on the mend and that all your various rabbits have great health too

Peace,
Glen

Thats great Glen, I am glad to hear you will stay around for a while. I've learnt so much by being a member on RU, whatever you have a question on (rabbit-related or not, sometimes!) there is usually someone who has an answer!

Will keep an eye out for pics of your bun too :) :wave:

Back