• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Those of you who've used Canaural for ear mite probs with your bunnies

.x.Rach.x.

Alpha Buck
Hi Guys

I did post a thread in 'Health', which didn't yield many replies and I'm quite worried about Lewis :( so I'm posting a new thread here :oops: Hope that's ok :wave:

Basically the vet thinks Lewis has ear mites, as he was shaking head head a lot and scratching his ears (one more than the other). Well, she couldn't see any mites down his ear, so would be early stages. Anyway, he will have been having the canaural a week tomorrow, and this morning he was shaking his ear again, he doesn't do it a lot... but his ear is clearly not better :( How long does it usually take to treat ear mites? I'm giving him 4 drops in each ear, once a day. He also started breathing rapidly last night (not doing it now :thumb:).

We assume it's mites as Lily had mites when we got her, although we thought they'd cleared up before bonding her with Lewis. Also, she still has bald patche on her ears (nothing major). Going to pick some mite treatment with ivermectin in it from Kennelgate later, as the stuff I have left over is for small bunnies. Maybe I should give her 1 treatment? The vets round here are VERY useless and they can't even tell you basic information over the phone :roll:

I have a bonded pair of rabbits that suffered terribly with ear mites, My vet tried everything even down to flushing under a GA. Poor rabbits were sick of me putting in liquid parafin which is really good as the mites slip off each other while trying to produce. My vet happened to be speaking to on of her friends who is also a vet and they got on to the subject of ear mites and my vets friend said she tried 0.1 of panomec (ivermectin) to 0.9 of water total liquid 1ml in an insulin syringe and then you break of needle and squirt into the effected ear or ears. It is brilliant and works within days. If you want me to pass on you my vets number then please feel free to pm me as I know my vet won't mind your vet phoning her.

I have a bonded pair of rabbits that suffered terribly with ear mites, My vet tried everything even down to flushing under a GA. Poor rabbits were sick of me putting in liquid parafin which is really good as the mites slip off each other while trying to produce. My vet happened to be speaking to on of her friends who is also a vet and they got on to the subject of ear mites and my vets friend said she tried 0.1 of panomec (ivermectin) to 0.9 of water total liquid 1ml in an insulin syringe and then you break of needle and squirt into the effected ear or ears. It is brilliant and works within days. If you want me to pass on you my vets number then please feel free to pm me as I know my vet won't mind your vet phoning her.

Hiya, thanks for the offer :) Although, I'm not sure if it would be necessary, as the vet said she didn't even know if it was mites :? But I'm pretty sure it is, as my other bun had fur and ear mites :( And Lewis seems to have improved with the drops, just not completely (6 days in now).

wow - thats amazing....what a great vet! when I was away recently - I was worried that my buns had mites...but dont think they do..I find it quite hard to tell..so will get the vet to check when they get their next vacs..

Surely a vet can tell if your buns has mites?

great to know there is a solution to help them when nothing else works.;)

wow - thats amazing....what a great vet! when I was away recently - I was worried that my buns had mites...but dont think they do..I find it quite hard to tell..so will get the vet to check when they get their next vacs..

Surely a vet can tell if your buns has mites?

great to know there is a solution to help them when nothing else works.;)

Trust me, she's **** :roll: Even the bunnies dislike her, and Lewis loves almost everyone :love:

I usually use the vets back home (as they actually seem knowledgable and care), but this was the only option.

My bf's picking up some of that Beapher Spot On (contains ivermectin), on the way home from work. Gonna give Lewis a dose on Sat (prob stop the drops tomorrow, after giving the vets a call), and gonna give Lily some tonight, although she's showing no symptoms, her fur hasn't all grown back on her ears.

Anyone used this before with their bunnies?

Last edited:

Have pmed you kayj. Think My bun can benefit from this :)

My bf called the vet for me on Fri, as I was ill with food poisoning :( and he was told that there is no specific time course for Canaural, just that the minimum dose is a 7 day period. Anyway, on Sat I gave Lewis a course of Beapher Spot On and have stopped with the drops for now. His ears don't look bad, I haven't been able to see anything wrong with his ears the whole time, they only used to look red after he'd scratched them - after the drops. He's still shaking his ears a bit... how long should Beapher Spot On take to work? It says on the box that it's a months worth of treatment.

As with kayj Beano had loads of problems with ear mites when she was younger and the vets considered flushing under GA and sending samples off to labs for testing because we just couldn't get rid of them. I could see the crusts and blood in her ears and it was awful for her :( She tried some new treatment by an injection and I did a massive thorough clean out of her acomadation, threw away anything that couldn't be washed properly and replaced it and changed the ype of hay she was been given, and she's had no problems since :) Good luck with your bunny, I know what a pain they can be!

Hmmm...

I'd get bunny to a decent vets as soon as you can :) Mites can be a real problem!

We treated my Pumpkin with Canaural last year for 1 week. Unfortunately, the vet couldn't see the mites either at the time. It turned out the mites died off but had left her with a horrendous ear infection which led to a very nasty abscess.

Unfortunately, Pumpkin died 4 weeks later due to complications from the abscess (suspected meningitis).

I'm sure you're bun will be fine but I would try a decent vets as soon as you can :D xxx

Hmmm...

I'd get bunny to a decent vets as soon as you can :) Mites can be a real problem!

We treated my Pumpkin with Canaural last year for 1 week. Unfortunately, the vet couldn't see the mites either at the time. It turned out the mites died off but had left her with a horrendous ear infection which led to a very nasty abscess.

Unfortunately, Pumpkin died 4 weeks later due to complications from the abscess (suspected meningitis).

I'm sure you're bun will be fine but I would try a decent vets as soon as you can :D xxx

Oh no, that's sad :( Could you see anything wrong with your buns ears? Also, can you feel abscesses? He isn't shaking his ears much, I've seen him do it once today.

I've just disinfected and washed everything in the room :)

As with kayj Beano had loads of problems with ear mites when she was younger and the vets considered flushing under GA and sending samples off to labs for testing because we just couldn't get rid of them. I could see the crusts and blood in her ears and it was awful for her :( She tried some new treatment by an injection and I did a massive thorough clean out of her acomadation, threw away anything that couldn't be washed properly and replaced it and changed the ype of hay she was been given, and she's had no problems since :) Good luck with your bunny, I know what a pain they can be!

Poor bun :( Glad your bun got better :thumb:

Oh no, that's sad :( Could you see anything wrong with your buns ears? Also, can you feel abscesses? He isn't shaking his ears much, I've seen him do it once today.

I've just disinfected and washed everything in the room :)

The only thing I noticed was that she seemed a bit 'off' ... Nothing more. I did notice (but only after the vet showed me) some puss in her ears but that was it. Eventually, after a week or two, I could feel a small lump at the base of her ear which gradually became bigger.

Dexter also had mites (he gave them to Pumpkin) and we never once saw him shake his ears! His mites did clear up after the weeks worth of Canaural though with no complications. So for us, it went both ways.

The only thing I noticed was that she seemed a bit 'off' ... Nothing more. I did notice (but only after the vet showed me) some puss in her ears but that was it. Eventually, after a week or two, I could feel a small lump at the base of her ear which gradually became bigger.

Dexter also had mites (he gave them to Pumpkin) and we never once saw him shake his ears! His mites did clear up after the weeks worth of Canaural though with no complications. So for us, it went both ways.

Oo, do you know if canaural can be used with ivermectin? As the spot on lasts 1 month :?

We got Lily off a breeder and she came with mites, she had a nasty scab in her ear and fur mites, which cleared up (or so we thought), she's still got a tiny bit of fur missing on her ears, she looks fine though, not shaking her ears. I'll see how they are tomorrow, not sure what to do though, as I don't drive and parents are on holiday (so can't take them to the good vets back home). I really don't want to go the vets round here again as I always come out feeling as though we've got nowhere. The next closest vets is even worse :shock: The last visit there, I was told incorrect information and the guy couldn't handle my bun and traumatised her, it was really awful :(

Arghh :shock: I can't find any information as to whether you can use Canaural in combination with Ivermectin Spot On products :(

Anyone know? :wave:

Arghh :shock: I can't find any information as to whether you can use Canaural in combination with Ivermectin Spot On products :(

Anyone know? :wave:

Incase anyone needed the answer, you can :wave:

The vet told me to try a few more days and if it doesn't work then to bring Lewis back in for different treatment :)

Back