• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A love of cardboard

yummybunny

New Kit
Hello
Let me start with a bit of an intro here :)
We are new to this forum and have our first rabbit Cornelius, a french lop who is 5 months old.
He lives in the house with us, we first gave him the dining room after he was using his litte tray. Now he goes and does what he wants although he is quite a naughty teenager at the moment as we expected, it is hard to leave him alone in the front room and he escaped from his run outside our back door, he gave me the runaround for half an hour (the neighbours think im crazy after seeing me scrabbling around on my hands and nees around the cars waving carrot tops!! :) but he did eventually say in his own way "ok im ready to go back now" He came over to be picked up and flopped down on the floor as soon as he got in with a smug look of contentment :) I think we love him even more for being a bit cheaky. He actually just nipped me as im sitting on his fave pillow!
He was quite a grumpy chap at first. It took a while for us to befriend him, we thought he hated us but now we are all best friends and he is the most loving cute little guy we could want :)

Right forgive me for rambling, we dont have anyone else to share our love of rabbits with. our friends think were crazy for not wanting a cat or dog :)

Anyway amongst his love of pillows, sofa throws, the stairs and bolting around the house he adors cardboard! we are always hurting our feet stepping and tripping on the hords of toys he has but i make him little castles out of cardboard for him to shape and enjoy, he loves them but he eats so much of it! he is always well fed and stimulated but cardboard seems to make the bulk of his diet! I expect him to chew on it and he is very healthy but not sure if he is eating too much of it?
What do you think?
Thanks for reading (if anyone does)

welcome to ru hun....i would be interested to know the answer aswell as i have a rabbit thats addicted to cardboard...it doesnt seem to do him any harm tho :D

Thank you :D Yeah we asked the vet and she didnt really have much to say about it. We dug up some grass and put it in a big, low box so he could dig around (thought that might help) but he is not interested in digging it, he just eats the tops of the grass? i always thought they dig to eat the roots?....... Nope its Just all about the cardboard!? :)

Frank and Dulcie are committed cardboard-a-holics. I get banana boxes from the local supermarket, cut them a hole in each end and it makes a sturdy hiding place/chew toy. I get them a new one every month as they decimate them. Frank is also a devil for chewing through the legs of the little plastic step stools you can get in places like Wilknsons. Just this morning I sat on one of the two they have and leg leg buckled. I felt seasick by the time I'd finished cleaning them out.

Can I ask if he always has access to unlimited good quality hay and if he enjoys eating it? He should eat a pile at least the size of himself every day, preferably more. And how much dry food you give him? The reason being that excessive cardboard consumption can sometimes be a sign of craving fibre.

Yeah he's always got plenty of fresh hay, we have tryed quite a few different brands and in the end we tryed giving him just hey straight off the fields and he loves it. He eats a good amount of it but not quite his body worth and there is always a little bit of pellets left in the bowl when we go to refill it?

Last edited:
Back