• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training and cleaning out

beccalillynick

Warren Scout
I want to clean my buns out today, they havent really used their litter tray (only babies) but I have been putting all the poos and wees in there to try and encourage them. Do I leave the litter tray full of the smelly bits and just replace the bedding, or do I put clean in of everything? At the moment I am using woodshavings (will be swapping to straw if this would be better) and then Bio-catolet for the litter tray.
Just not sure if clean everything would mean that they are less likely to use litter tray?
Thank you :wave:

They are probably a bit young for litter training if they are still babies, but there's no harm trying! In this weather where it's hot I'd probably want to take out soiled bits in the litter tray at least once a day though.

Straw isn't the best to use as bedding because it has no nutritional value, you're better off just using hay :) Lots of people use Carefresh on the base of the hutch/cage rather than woodshavings, especially with non-litter trained bunnies, as it'll soak up any accidents. You can also use Megazorb which is cheaper and you get more for your money.

I'm using Bio-catelot in the litter trays too I quite like it. I use a fleece in the base of the cage because my bun is litter trained so I can trust him not to wee on it! He is 8 months old though and has had 1 accident in the last 4 weeks where he missed the litter tray!

They are probably a bit young for litter training if they are still babies, but there's no harm trying! In this weather where it's hot I'd probably want to take out soiled bits in the litter tray at least once a day though.

Straw isn't the best to use as bedding because it has no nutritional value, you're better off just using hay :) Lots of people use Carefresh on the base of the hutch/cage rather than woodshavings, especially with non-litter trained bunnies, as it'll soak up any accidents. You can also use Megazorb which is cheaper and you get more for your money.

I'm using Bio-catelot in the litter trays too I quite like it. I use a fleece in the base of the cage because my bun is litter trained so I can trust him not to wee on it! He is 8 months old though and has had 1 accident in the last 4 weeks where he missed the litter tray!

Im not expecting anything, just thought I would put it in for them to get used to it :) So when people talk about megazorb, is that to cover the floor and for them to sleep on etc, and then i use bio-catolet in the litter tray?
Thanks for helping

Im not expecting anything, just thought I would put it in for them to get used to it :) So when people talk about megazorb, is that to cover the floor and for them to sleep on etc, and then i use bio-catolet in the litter tray?
Thanks for helping

Megazorb is mainly used for litter trays it absorbs the wee :) Lol absorb megazorb ;)

You could try newspaper then on top megazorb and on top of that hay :)

ETA: Megazorb isn't compulsory newspaper with hay on top in the litter tray is just as fine. And if your bunnies eat megazrob which they shouldn't, the megazorb can cause blockages.
But if you really want to try it, try it, if you see them eating it remove it and monitor your buns, after a week or two try putting megazorb in again if they still eat it then don't use it for health reasons :)
You could use it for your other pets like cat, guinea pigs if you have them

Last edited:
Megazorb is mainly used for litter trays it absorbs the wee :) Lol absorb megazorb ;)

Yeah I got that :p thats why it confuses me when people use it all over as well as a litter tray.
What do buns like best? I am quite happy to keep using this bio-catolet in the litter tray, but what would be best for their bedding etc?

ETA: Megazorb isn't compulsory newspaper with hay on top in the litter tray is just as fine. And if your bunnies eat megazrob which they shouldn't, the megazorb can cause blockages.
But if you really want to try it, try it, if you see them eating it remove it and monitor your buns, after a week or two try putting megazorb in again if they still eat it then don't use it for health reasons :)
You could use it for your other pets like cat, guinea pigs if you have them

Ha I only have the buns Im afraid, I think a toddler, 2 buns and 2 massive mastiffs is enough. Anymore and i would go mad :lol:

For bedding hay is good, as its soft and edible
For litter tray bedding .. newspaper with hay on top is fine, but if you already have megazorb then put it above the newspaper and under the hay :)

As your rabbits start to mature they will start using the tray hopefully :wave:

Ha I only have the buns Im afraid, I think a toddler, 2 buns and 2 massive mastiffs is enough. Anymore and i would go mad :lol:

:lol:

ETA: You might be interested to read this :)
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=187599

Last edited:
For bedding hay is good, as its soft and edible
For litter tray bedding .. newspaper with hay on top is fine, but if you already have megazorb then put it above the newspaper and under the hay :)

As your rabbits start to mature they will start using the tray hopefully :wave:

:lol:

So once this pack of woodshavings go if I just buy hay that will be enough? :)

So once this pack of woodshavings go if I just buy hay that will be enough? :)

I've never had Bio-catolet are they wood shavings ?

After your Bio-catolet finishes then yes buy hay, hay is soft and edible and hay is the most important food in a rabbits diet .. 80% of it needs to be fed daily and should always be topped up. 20% need to be greens and the other 20% pellets.
But pellets need to be fed an egg cup per rabbit once daily :)

When I was using Megazorb, I used it in the base of the cage so that he wasn't walking or sitting on plastic in there, and also used it in the litter tray. I don't use anything in the base of the cage any more (apart from a blanket like I said) as he doesn't have (many!) accidents in there so doesn't need it.

The only problem with just using hay to cover the floor of the cage/hutch (I assume you are using a cage/hutch as you mentioned using wood shavings before?) is that it isn't absorbent, so if they are still weeing everywhere, it'll make the hay wet.

Personally, I would use Megazorb in the base of the cage/hutch and have a hay rack with hay in it. Then, when litter trained, have a re-think, as you won't need to use Megazorb in the base any more. And use megazorb or the bio-catolet in the litter tray. I don't use newspaper in the litter tray as he tends to have a chew on it!

After your Bio-catolet finishes then yes buy hay, hay is soft and edible and hay is the most important food in a rabbits diet .. 80% of it needs to be fed daily and should always be topped up. 20% need to be greens and the other 20% pellets.

Bio-catolet is a paper-based litter. It's what I use in my bunny's litter trays :wave:

If it was me I would Lino the hutch, then use megazorb (or similar) and A thick layer of hay in the litter trays and paper and lots of hay everywhere else. It would depend on how well they get on with their little training but you may find the majority of the time you can get away with just changing the tray or trays.

Bio-catolet is a paper-based litter. It's what I use in my bunny's litter trays :wave:

So they're not wood shavings ?

If they're not then, yes after your wood shavings finish don't use them as they are bad for bunny health as they can cause respiratory infections

No its a paper based cat litter, suitable for rabbits :)
With hay though, they have a big hayball that I fill up everyday over their litter tray, so that they can eat and poop, but if their whole house is hay, they wont bother jumping in the litter tray to eat the hay from the ball will they?

With hay though, they have a big hayball that I fill up everyday over their litter tray, so that they can eat and poop, but if their whole house is hay, they wont bother jumping in the litter tray to eat the hay from the ball will they?

Oh yea I see,
You try just putting hay in the litter tray and the hay ball thing [hang the hay ball thing over the litter tray]
The rest of the bedding for the flooring just use megazorb or the Bio-catolet, but maybe consider what Schuette said too :)

If it was me I would Lino the hutch, then use megazorb (or similar) and A thick layer of hay in the litter trays and paper and lots of hay everywhere else. It would depend on how well they get on with their little training but you may find the majority of the time you can get away with just changing the tray or trays.

They are indoor bunnies with a plastic base on the cage. So if I just use the bio-catolet and hay in the litter tray, and then paper and hay everywhere else? I just cant see where the incentive is to go in the litter tray if they are already sitting on hay? Sorry if I am confusing

If you put hay in the litter tray then they should still go there for the hay and toilet at the same time. I have always found mine eat a lot more hay when it's underneath them and they can forage in it than when it's above or beside them in a rack or ball but that's just me. Some people say you run the risk of them getting hay with wee on but I personally think this is going to be the same from hay above anyway as it will drop into the tray. This has the added benefit of forming a layer between bunny feets and wet bedding. I also regularly top up the hay and use a thick layer so any wee just goes through it and into the newspaper. (I don't actually use megazorb anymore, just newspaper and hay as two of mine dig in it)

They are indoor bunnies with a plastic base on the cage. So if I just use the bio-catolet and hay in the litter tray, and then paper and hay everywhere else? I just cant see where the incentive is to go in the litter tray if they are already sitting on hay? Sorry if I am confusing

I just have hay in the hay rack and put a little pile in the corner sometimes. I don't even bother putting it in his litter tray any more as he doesn't like eating it in there :lol: But when litter training I did put it in his litter tray, and had the hay rack next to the litter tray too.

The only prob with using paper in the base is that they may decide to eat it! So keep an eye on them. My bunny didn't eat Megazorb so that was ideal to use, but would eat newspaper.

Aaaah I see. In that case I would put a blanket in the cage and wash it regularly, providing they don't chew and ingest it.

Would you like to see some people's setups? That might help you?

The thing i dont understand with using hay everywhere is how will they ever learn that the hay in the litter tray is to be weed on etc? If it all looks the same I mean.

Back