• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gagging and sneezing??...help

Thumper is worrying me a bit.:cry:

He has had his antibiotics for pasturella and although the sneezing hadnt totally gone it was much better.Yday though he started gagging and sneezing like hes choking on some of the discharge?could that be whats happening?could it be an allergy?Any ideas ?

The rest of the time he is happy eating,pooing,drinking (in fact is sat on my shoulder right now checking what i type!:lol:)

To make matters worse i am going away early tommorrow morning until sunday night and am leaving him with a friend who although has had house rabbits hasnt had experience with pasturella i dont think.

Last edited:
Bluebell does this. :(

What medication is Thumper on.

Bisolven and a saline neb really helps reduce this, though hasn't stopped it completely.

We are trying him on Metronidazole and Depocillin injections now.

been to the vets and she has put him on a 10 day course of baytril if this starts to work she will increase the amount of time he is on it if it doesnt there is another one she wants to use that she is pretty sure will do the trick but is a last resort antibiotic....so fingers cross this will help the poor little boy.How long has bluebell been like this?

How long has bluebell been like this?

Over a year, though he's not always done the choking thing. We had a culture done but it didn't give us any clearer idea as to what was causing the infection so we've just been trying a multitude of antibiotics trying to find one that works.

There are lots of antibiotics to try. So far we've used Oral baytril, Septrin, Alamycin Injections, Baytril in a nebuliser and are about to try Metronidazole and penicillin injections.

A saline nebuliser on its own (ie no meds) can also be good for mucus so may be worth thinking about investing in one if it goes on for any length of time.

Its a machine that breaks the liquid you put in the medicine pot into little particals so it looks almost like steam. Bluebell has medication in his but you could just use normal saline to help break up the mucus.

I have some pictures on my camera I promised Jenova but haven't got round to uploading them yet. I'll try to get round to it tonight so you can see what I mean.

I have this one:

http://evergreen-nebulizers.co.uk/omron/compairc28.html

Back