• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ant powder

Why Rachylou? What has happened? :wave:

It is an INSECTICIDE so it kills insects. Rabbits are not insects but some stuff can be quite nasty. Do you want to use some or have you used some? :wave:

My Mum used some OUTSIDE but I am panicing that it may have blown on to her clothes and then she walked past the pets at home bag on the stairs and inside that I have a garland that is not wrapped, what if some of the dust from the powder fell in the bag?

My Mum used some OUTSIDE but I am panicing that it may have blown on to her clothes and then she walked past the pets at home bag on the stairs and inside that I have a garland that is not wrapped, what if some of the dust from the powder fell in the bag?

Im pretty sure that your buns will be safe enough :wave:

Okay well your mum put it on the ground and didn't shake it in the air as that is not how you apply it so it is VERY unlikely it could possibly have blown on to her clothes as i'm sure your mum is a very careful lady.

Most ant powders are neurotoxins SPECIFICALLY developed for INSECTS and therefore will NOT HAVE THE SAME EFFECTS ON MAMMALS. Ants are teeny tiny and need a substantial amount to affect them. Just think about how big your bunnies are in comparison - and therefore even if some powder got in your bag it would NO WHERE NEAR BE ENOUGH to cause ANY PROBLEMS AT ALL WITH YOUR BUNNIES. Just make sure they don't go hopping around on the same spots your mum has treated until there has been some rain.

For future ant treatmen perhaps you could ask your mum to use this stuff called DE - Diatomaceous Earth. It is made from crushed seashells (Diatoms) and works by physical action not chemical (like all other ant powders). It is TOTALLY safe around kids and pets and can even be put on larger animals fur coats to reduce ticks/lice so is very safe. :)

Okay well your mum put it on the ground and didn't shake it in the air as that is not how you apply it so it is VERY unlikely it could possibly have blown on to her clothes as i'm sure your mum is a very careful lady.

Most ant powders are neurotoxins SPECIFICALLY developed for INSECTS and therefore will NOT HAVE THE SAME EFFECTS ON MAMMALS. Ants are teeny tiny and need a substantial amount to affect them. Just think about how big your bunnies are in comparison - and therefore even if some powder got in your bag it would NO WHERE NEAR BE ENOUGH to cause ANY PROBLEMS AT ALL WITH YOUR BUNNIES. Just make sure they don't go hopping around on the same spots your mum has treated until there has been some rain.

For future ant treatmen perhaps you could ask your mum to use this stuff called DE - Diatomaceous Earth. It is made from crushed seashells (Diatoms) and works by physical action not chemical (like all other ant powders). It is TOTALLY safe around kids and pets and can even be put on larger animals fur coats to reduce ticks/lice so is very safe. :)

Oooh will do! Thankyou Prettylupin!! :)
As they dont go outside, could there be any problem for them if there was the smallest amount of dust from the powder that they came in to contact with?

Oooh will do! Thankyou Prettylupin!! :)
As they dont go outside, could there be any problem for them if there was the smallest amount of dust from the powder that they came in to contact with?

They would need to ingest a certain amount I think so no, am certain they would be fine. :)

So walking bare foot on the door mat that Mum walked on with her shoes on after she put the powder down, then walking in to the bunnies room would be ok?

Would such small amounts even cause them any problems? or would it need to be a lot?

It would need to be a lot.

Rach, this is just another trap the OCD is setting for you. Try not to allow the intrusive thoughts about possible sources of contamination take control.

Does your Therapist suggest any distraction techniques ?

It would need to be a lot.

Rach, this is just another trap the OCD is setting for you. Try not to allow the intrusive thoughts about possible sources of contamination take control.

Does your Therapist suggest any distraction techniques ?

Are you sure? So any residue would not be enough to harm them?
I am not seeing a therapist at the moment, I had to cut ties with my last one as she did not understand how important Jimby and Cookie are to me and because I canceled an appointment due to Jimby and Cookie needing me and she spent our hour session having a go at me and putting me down!

Bump

Last edited:
Rachel, deep down, under the nasty OCD, you know that it won't harm your buns.

Please please please try to block the thoughts out my lovely.

xxx

I have used ant powder outside my house loads of times. The closest place to the bunnies is the front door. This is about 10 steps away between the bunnies and the ant powder and people are walking in and out.

I have been the one putting down the ant powder and i have not changed clothes or anything like that after coming indoors.

My two have always been fine with it.

The only way it would have an effect is if you were using it a lot in their direct vicinity.

The ants are coming in :( Mum has said she wants to put powder down but I have tried to explain to her my concerns and the fact that we had to move out of our last home because of poison, does she want us to move out?
She said no but she wants the ants out. So as a compramise for now the area they have been seen has been covered in duck tape and I am going on a hunt for something that will kill the ants but not harm my babies.

If the rabbits are not in the same room as the ant powder they will be fine. And if it's outside and they are inside they will definitely be fine. :wave:

Such small amounts that get in the air or on clothes will have no effect on them otherwise they wouldn't let people use it.

One think I have used inside is ant bait boxes. You can get them from Wilkinson's and they are a little box with a few holes in. The ants are attracted to it and take the jelly inside back to their nest but it's poisonous and kills all the ants. I've used this inside when my rabbits were inside in another room. My rabbits were in my bedroom and we had two bait boxes downstairs. When the ants were sorted the bait boxes were thrown away and the bunnies could come downstairs again.

I think more than OCD it sounds like anxiety. You think about all the possible outcomes of everything and even if they're so unlikely they can't happen you think they will. But you do a great job looking after your bunnies and they are very safe. It was bad of the therapist to talk down to you. Have you spoken to the organisation she came from? I did this when I didn't get on with a counsellor and they arranged for me to see another one who was so much nicer. I know a member on here sees a therapist who thinks that their bunnies are wonderful. :wave:

Rach, I agree with what everyone else has said.

I have suffered from these obsessive and compulsive thoughts, which are irrational but no much how you try to rationalise it sometimes you have to have that outside definitive answer that there is nothing to worry about.

In time and with the right therapy, you can learn to rationalise stuff for yourself and eventually trust your own judgement so that you dont need to seek reassurance from other people so much. I've come a long way with mine but I still get them every so often and I do sympathise because it takes up so much energy when you can't get straight in your own head at all.

It is so difficult. :( is there anyway that the ants could have carried the poison to the other exit they have created in the outhouse?

I am also concerned because the plants that we have grown for the bunnies are also on the patio what if some of the powder got on them?

I really dont know what more we can say. I am wondering if our responses are actually 'feeding' your OCD now ..............................

Back