• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and dogs...

Koni

Young Bun
My staffy used to love my pet rats and would curl up with them and groom them... now she is trying to do the same with the buns.

I keep finding her in the garden doing binkies with Rupert the bun :shock::lol: First she waps her ears and then rolls and prances and then Rupert starts around the run... :shock::lol: then it's Tesses turn to wap and bounce... and it goes on until I drag her inside. Rupert loves the dogs and when they go near the run he is straight over to the mesh and sniffing them. I've even found her asleep on the lawn next to the mesh of the run and the two buns sprawled out asleep next to her.

When the buns first arrived my other dog would run outside and Tesse would body slam him away from the run if she thinks the buns are under threat :lol:

Anyone got a good relationship between the buns and other pets?

hi

Yes mine have a fab relationship with my dog and my cats. They all run around the garden, play and interact with each other. They have special relationships between themselves my westie Oscar has a better friendship with my one cat Ollie and JoJo My female rabbit they will all curl up together but they are all of the same nature quiet and sweet - We have jinx (cat) who is the comic of the furry family (however when my Other 15yr westie was dying he was the one to curl up on him to give comfort) and then Mr Pips the male rabbit who is "THE DON" no one but no one messes with him only me he has a special relationship with me - he will play with the others but he loves his cuddles off me he tends not to look for attention off the others. I Love to just sit and watch them all.....It truly is magical - And when people tell me terriers wont get on with small furries i just laugh............Oscar adores them licks there ears inside out and they LOVEEEEE it.............:love:

Aw! I love these 2 stories. I have 2 cats who get on with all the buns. Only Scooter, my black cat actually licks the buns but not often but the do play together a little. The cats often curl up with the buns which I love to see.

We really want to get a dog (or 2)but I have been worried about how they would get on the buns. Please could you tell me how you went about introducing them to each other and did it take time to bond them?

Thanks

Angela

All my buns, dogs, and cats get along great (excluding my yorkie Teddy who possibly has a high prey drive- he isn't allowed anywhere near bunnies but he loves cats) :D I love how cute cats and dogs are with them. The buns are super friendly and not scared at all, yet the cats/dogs can be a bit wary. Like "what is this strange creature :shock: :?" But they do go right up to the bunnies and are polite towards them, they just keep their distance if the buns are acting too excitable and hyper.

My other yorkie Riley is the best with buns, just shows terriers are ok with prey, it just depends on the dog. And Teddy is Riley's sister too! She has no prey drive and he does.

My staffy is very good at the leave command. so that has helped at the beginning. my lurcher was frantic and didn't sleep the first two nights (even though the buns are outside) it took a couple of weeks before he stopped dashing to the hutch the minute he could. then i spent a whole day in the garden with the dogs, a bag of dog treats and the buns in their run. by lunch time the lurcher was bored of the buns and now he can go in the garden without scaring them. though they are always in their run or hutch as the lurcher i dont think could hold back from grabbing one. the staffy would be fine.

the buns dont free range as the garden is large and i'd never catch them again :roll::lol:

Aww that is sweet! :love:

I wouldn't say my dogs are best friends with my rabbits, but they ignore them which is what I want.

Lexi gets on well with my buns. Escpecially Pete :love: i think she loves him :shock: she always cleans his ears and just lies there staring at him, he climbs all over her and she just stares at him lovingly :lol:

I took the introducing stage very slowly, started with someone holding her on her lead and me having the rabbits on my lap, then on the floor, then i held the bunny by her and watched her reaction, also a good point that i would make is, i have always made lexi lie down for food when the rabbits are in, so now she thinks when the rabbits are out she must lie down :) this has helped alot.

I am very pleased with how my 3 are now. They all fall asleep on Lexi's bed after a bit :love:

Here's my guys chilling in the garden :D

07062011034.jpg

Awwww how sweet.
My OH parents have a chocolate lab and she loved sitting there with Buttons. Buttons wasnt always too sure of her though.

Back