• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hoover

beccalillynick

Warren Scout
I have a 2 year old baby girl and as my buns are in my living room I have to keep hoovering the carpet while I am trying to litter train them. The hoover doesnt seem to affect them too much, although they do huddle together while I do it and for a while afterwards. How cam I make it easier for them?

I try to talk and re-assure them if I hoover near them....and make eye-contact with them...

I hoovered earlier...and start talking really loudly before I switch the hoover on so they hear me being loud first...silly I kow but it warns them abit..:roll::oops:

Sometimes they get a fright with the initial noise and then just watch me or try to come sniff it...

Turn it down so it's as quiet as possible. It will take longer to pick up, but it's not quite so scary that way. Are your buns neutered? Neutering will help a lot with littertraining. Try placing a hay rack above their trays, the they can poo while they nom without making a mess!

Turn it down so it's as quiet as possible. It will take longer to pick up, but it's not quite so scary that way. Are your buns neutered? Neutering will help a lot with littertraining. Try placing a hay rack above their trays, the they can poo while they nom without making a mess!

My hoover is a dyson so only got one speed as far as I know?
Bobby will be neutered, but hes only 9 weeks old so cant be done for a few weeks yet :)
They have a hay ball over their hay rack at the moment, are racks better?

I try to talk and re-assure them if I hoover near them....and make eye-contact with them...

I hoovered earlier...and start talking really loudly before I switch the hoover on so they hear me being loud first...silly I kow but it warns them abit..:roll::oops:

Sometimes they get a fright with the initial noise and then just watch me or try to come sniff it...

That is what I have been doing ha, I think they think I'm mad :roll: plus I start off down the other end of the living room so its not as much as a shock :)

That is what I have been doing ha, I think they think I'm mad :roll: plus I start off down the other end of the living room so its not as much as a shock :)

aaah bless...I know its hard but not quite sure how else to introduce them to normal things that we need to do...:?

You said you have a hay ball over their hay rack? Not sure I understand but I have a hay rack over their litter tray ...and also a hay ball....thats in a different place.. i find both great...the hay ball tends to keep the hay in more and the buns love chewing it and pulling bits out - till its all trimmed...:lol:
The hay rack I use as its bigger and holds more hay...but Arrabella does have a tendancy to pull it off the wires at night when she is playing...

Both are great to have...as long as they have alot of hay to eat.;) Mine have their body size plus a handful each mornng and another fresh at night....if Im home I top up during the day.

aaah bless...I know its hard but not quite sure how else to introduce them to normal things that we need to do...:?

You said you have a hay ball over their hay rack? Not sure I understand but I have a hay rack over their litter tray ...and also a hay ball....thats in a different place.. i find both great...the hay ball tends to keep the hay in more and the buns love chewing it and pulling bits out - till its all trimmed...:lol:
The hay rack I use as its bigger and holds more hay...but Arrabella does have a tendancy to pull it off the wires at night when she is playing...

Both are great to have...as long as they have alot of hay to eat.;) Mine have their body size plus a handful each mornng and another fresh at night....if Im home I top up during the day.

Oh did I say that :lol: I meant a hay ball over their litter tray, its fixed on to the wires and rotates. I keep it filled alld ay so that they have a never ending supply. And if they are out then the cage door is left open so they can go in and out as they please so they always have access to it.
Im hoping that the more I hoover the less of a stress it will be. No other way round it really, other than ripping up the carpet and buying a huge bag of magazorb to cover the living room floor with :lol:

Back