• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Medication For Rabbits- *Please Read* :-)

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
:wave:

First off, this thread is NOT aimed at anyone in particular :) It relates to an issue that has been bothering me for some time. I frequently receive PM's requesting advice about dose rates of various medication used to treat poorly Rabbits. Or asking if it is OK to administer medication 'left over' from a previous problem etc.

Whilst I am always happy to pass on what MY Vet prescribes, I cannot tell anyone else what dose of medication they should be administering to their Rabbit. Neither can I say 'Yes, start your Rabbit on the Baytril you have left over from last time'.......

I am not a Vet or in any way legally permitted to do so.

Sometimes a Vet may decide that a particular Rabbit needs an 'unusual' dose of a certain medication. The Vet probably has very good reason for this. So if people have doubts about a prescribed treatment the best person to discuss it with is the Vet who prescribed it :)

I really hope that this post does not come across as me sayng 'dont bother me with PMs about Bunny worries any more'. That is not what I mean.

But we need to be mindful that it is illegal for an unqualified person (ME in this case!!) to advise anyone else to administer medication to their Rabbit.

Hope all that makes sense and that it has not caused any offense :?

I think sometimes dose threads can be beneficial if they are used along side common sense. Sometimes its interesting to know what other peoples experiences are so you can ask your vet why they chose differently but quite rightly so it should never be a substitute for speaking to your vet.

I for one have often discussed in detail info I have found on here about alterative medications etc.

Perfectly acceptable comments Jane!

While it is interesting to know what other vets have prescribed for other rabbits, it should not be taken to mean that those medicines/dosages are appropriate to use on other rabbits without checking out with your own vet first.

worth stating..

although you may not know as much as a top bunny savvy vet Jane, you know a lot more than the vast majority of vets! i should have listened to you from day 1 regarding my barney :( you were right, thanks to RU advice i was right.. vet was wrong !

this isnt specifically referring to medication dosage though...

To be fair Jane you probably know a heck of a lot more about rabbits than most vets, did you ever consider training as one when you were younger?

Back