• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please help me

As mentioned in my intro post. We have 2 Pure Bred Dutch Female rabbits called Nosey and Peppa. They are 14 weeks old. Reason why I am posting is because I really need assistance in deciding what is best for them.

I am married and have a 3.8 year old girls and a 3 month old. The rabbits are 3 days older than my baby. My husband decided to get the rabbits because he really wanted to get it for my daugher as a pet and because he used to have a rabbit when he was young.

Problem I am having is I think or know that he doesnt take care of them properly and obviously all left to me, but with a pre-schooler and a 3 month old and housework it can get too much. Initially I just wanted to sell them because I feel like they need more love. But my daughter was so upset when I tried mentioning this. I have now tried to read as many things about them online to be able to care for them better. And I need some help with all my questions if you dont mind.

The main problem I have is trying to pet them. For whatever reason I cant get it in me to pick them up. Right now it only gets it from my husband when he is home and my daughter and I reminds him to. I would love to be able to pick them up and cuddle them the way rabbits are supposed to be loved and in turn teach my daughter to be gentle with them. (she is very gentle). Also I would love for them to be friendly especially because I have a young baby in the house and when she is older we would not want any nastiness.

What has happened not long after we had them my husband said because our garden was properly secure that they could have a run around. Meaning the moment the hutch is open they refuse to get back in and its a real struggle. I have now seen online its not recommended especially this young and until they are fully trained. Our garden are full of rabbit poop. The hutch as well. they have managed to dig their way twice into the neighbours garden. Neighbour has a tortoise and a blind cat. Cat kept indoors, but still not good that they got out.

Like I said I am now trying to give them more time now that I got my baby in a routine. So here is my questions.

Right now we have this hutch http://www.petsathome.com/shop/willow-palace-guinea-pig-and-rabbit-hutch-by-pets-at-home-16078
1. Do we still need a separate run? Is this hutch a proper size.

2. I would love to buy bulk supplies, dont drive and best is online. Where can I find the best bulk hay, straw or woodshavings. Pets At Home as an online 3 for 2 sale this week. Is it best?

3. Is woodshavings recommended and is Megazorb woodshavings or just a form of bedding. And where can i get this.

4. What is the best food. Right now they have Excel Junior bought at local Petshop.

5. Do I keep them in the hutch to get them used to us and let them out supervised occasionally.

6. Toys, boredom, advice

7. Best pet insurance

8. When do I get them to get their first jabs.

Sorry for the super long post but if I dont do it now I am never going to

Thanking in advance

:wave:

Welcome!

If possible, adding another run onto this would give them more space to run around.

2. I would love to buy bulk supplies, dont drive and best is online. Where can I find the best bulk hay, straw or woodshavings. Pets At Home as an online 3 for 2 sale this week. Is it best?
I use megazorb, if you google this online you can usually get it delivered for £13 inc postage, a bag usually last me a month/2 months. Just put this in their litter tray though, itll encourage them to stop pooping everywhere. Hay for Pets is excellent for hay, lasts me ages!

4. What is the best food. Right now they have Excel Junior bought at local Petshop. If your buns are fine on this then no need to change, dont leave an unlimited supply in there hutch though as you want to encourage them to eat loads of hay

Thats the questions I can answer! At 6 months, I would recommend neutering to avoid them falling out & becoming grumpy!

Thank you for your replies.
So the Megazorb is just for their litter tray?
What about wood shavings.
I looked online on Youtube where some owners put lots of woodshavings down at the bottom and then straw on top.

Also what is the average amount of times to clean out their hutch.
Thanks

Thank you for your replies.
So the Megazorb is just for their litter tray?
What about wood shavings.
I looked online on Youtube where some owners put lots of woodshavings down at the bottom and then straw on top.

Also what is the average amount of times to clean out their hutch.
Thanks

Put the litter tray where they are weeing & hopefully they will start to use it. Line the rest of the hutch with straw. :) Wood shavings arent recommended im afraid.

Is there anyway you could get a larger hutch? I have this:

http://www.the-rabbit-hutch-shop.com/new-6-x-2_pet-rabbit-ferret-hutch-run-large-bunny-cage-gdhg64.html

Gives your buns more room & space to put a large litter tray. :)

Right now we have this hutch http://www.petsathome.com/shop/willo...-at-home-16078

The reccomended size is a 6ft x 2ft hutch and 8ft x 4ft run so if you could attach a run somehow to give them more safe that would be fab.

http://www.hayforpets.co.uk/

http://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/

http://www.farmway.co.uk/equine-2/tack-room-stable-24/stable-equipment-40/northern-driers-megazorb-animal-1788.htm

3. Is woodshavings recommended and is Megazorb woodshavings or just a form of bedding. And where can i get this.

I'd avoid shavings if poss as they can cause respitory probs, but there are lots of alternatives, megazorb, auboise, hemp, carefresh to name a few.

4. What is the best food. Right now they have Excel Junior bought at local Petshop.

If there poos look normal then stick with Excel for now. Alternatively you could wean them gradually onto Science selective.

5. Do I keep them in the hutch to get them used to us and let them out supervised occasionally.

Free range exercise is fine if they are supervised and the garden is bunny proof. Beware if you have birds of prey or foxes in your area as they could probably snatch a bunny before you could stop them.

6. Toys, boredom, advice

Main way to prevent boredom is lots and lots of hay. You can also give them old telephone books to tear or cardboard loo roll inners to play with.

7. Best pet insurance

Sorry I don't use insurance.

Myxi - from 6 weeks

VHD - depends on what vaccine vet uses - cylap from 10 weeks, lapinject from 5 weeks, anivac from 10 weeks.

Hi :wave:

The information available on keeping rabbits can be confusing and it is not helped by pet shops selling woefully inadequate sized accommodation and mis information.

Below I have added my comments from personal experience but others may come along and offer alternative/better information.

Right now we have this hutch http://www.petsathome.com/shop/willo...-at-home-16078

I think the dimensions given are a little bit misleading as the 'living compartment' looks very small. I have had 2 Dutchies and to be honest I would not keep them in something that small. You could extend the ground space by adding a run to this which would give them plenty of room to run and play when you are not available to give supervised free range time in the garden. A 6ft x 2ft hutch with attached 6ft x 4ft run is the minimum recommended but remember bigger is always better when it comes to rabbit accommodation..

I've never used Pets at Home but I have used 'Hay Experts' and found their service second to none. Not sure on how prices compare though.

I would avoid using woodshavings at all as this can cause respiratory problems. I use Megazorb in litter trays only (covered with a layer of hay) positioned by their hay rack and this encourages them to poop and wee there whilst they are eating. I don't use any bedding as such, the floor is covered in lino to make for easy cleaning, and when it is cold I put extra hay in boxes for them to snuggle into (they all live in converted sheds/playhouses).

That sounds fine

Of my 7 rabbits only 2 are what I would call 'cuddle buns', that is they are happy to be picked up and stroked. Most of them hate being picked up but sometimes it is necessary to check them over otherwise I go along woth what they want. If they don't want to be picked up then I don't as this just stresses them out. However, I think it is really important to interact with them socially, so getting down on the floor and playing with them etc is really important to me. Mine don't free range as OH loves his garden too much and there are way too many delicious plants and flowers they would eat so instead they go into a really large run on the grass when I am able to supervise. I NEVER leave them out if I am unable to supervise.

6. Toys, boredom, advice

I have a selection of toys and tunnels, playcubes etc for them and also some handmade ones that they love to destroy with a few minutes!! It's important to keep them stimulated and some toys I change over from time to time to give them some variety.

7. Best pet insurance

I don't have pet insurance so sorry can't comment. I just save into an emergency fund every month.

VHD - annually
Myxi - every 6 months (where I live)

At 14 weeks they are ready for their first jabs now

Hopes this helps and please continue to ask any questions you may have. I have found this forum incredibly valuable since I started keeping rabbits. If looked after well, rabbits can be extremely rewarding to keep and provide hours of entertainment. I just love sitting in the garden watching them play and seeing all the antics they get up to. :wave:

Hello, welcome to the forum :wave:

All great advice given so far!

I insure my bunnies with PetPlan. Pets at Home have also started doing insurance for rabbits.

In my rabbits' shed I use a corner little tray with a layer of megazorb then topped with hay. I also have a plastic washing-up bowl and an old indoor cage base that I do the same with. They only go to the toilet in these and I change the litter tray and box everyday and the larger tray every other day. In the hot weather its wise to change them regularly so they don't attract flies.

Some rabbits will never like being picked up, but you can still have a close bond with them and show them affection. Try offering them food from your hand, let them come to you and sniff you without trying to pick them up. They will get used to you, just takes a little time.

Another boredom breaker tip: try hiding their pellets in their hay and around the hutch so they have to hunt and dig for them. You can also get "treat balls" where you put the pellets inside the ball and the rabbit has to roll them or throw them to get the pellets to fall out of the holes. Don't think they are too expensive.

Just to add - it may sound like a lot of work to look after them, but once you get into a routine its easier. And getting a gentle nudge or lick from the buns makes it all worthwhile!:D

Toys: find a large cardboard box, make two small holes on each end, fill it with hay. They can run through it, 'dig' in it, jump onto it and destroy the box by making the holes bigger and bigger. Our buggy came with a brilliant box!

Don't worry about the picking up - the bunnies don't like it anyway.

Attach a run to their hutch - that way they can exercise without getting lost in the neighbours' garden. (and you don't have to pick them up). The other problem with picking them up is that the kids will copy you and they might not be able to do it safely yet.

Once you've got into the swing of things you won't find them that time consuming to look after (and once they've got used to weeing in the trays), and you'll be glad of their company. Plus the kids will appreciate them (we got ours 3 weeks before the youngest was born).

You're doing a really good job already by finding out more about how to care for them.

I get the hay from a farm shop - a whole bale (£5) lasts for several months. This means getting s.o. to drive for you though. You can put the hay bale into an old duvet cover, to stop it from messing up your friend's car.

You've had some great advice. It's quite difficult but after a few months here you'll probably find lots of tricks to make it easier. The biggest thing that I found helped was to have them neutered and litter trained, it cuts down on cost because you use less supplies and it costs down on effort as you only have one area to clean out. :)

Don't forget that if you want them to have access to the run all the time you need to make sure they can't dig or jump out. So the run needs to have mesh on the top and on the bottom. Or else you could put it on hard ground, like the terrace.

I use one of these runs , my two have access 24/7. You can take the lids off and get in with them, then put lids back on with no worry about predetors.

http://www.ukrabbithutches.co.uk/rabbitruns.html

I have a tunnel from Runaround connecting this to my playhouse.
Any chance of eventually changing to a playhouse? They start at about £169 at Waltons .Your daughter would love it, there are loads of pics under housing section.:wave:

Hi

That looks nice and big enough, thanks. However I was ideally looking for something that I could position next to the hutch so that they always have that freedom instead of waiting on me to move them. And are you sure that they cant come out.

As bunsterfield said, you can connect a wooden run to your hutch with a runaround tube or something similar to a cat flap with the hutch and run connected with screws or something. If the run is to be on the grass it is wise to have wire below the grass to prevent buns digging out - we have our "run" on the patio so we made a raised marine ply base and topped the run with corrolux (corrugated plastic roofing) to keep the rain off.

I know it's difficult finding time with children but if you have a look around this site, perhaps using the seach facility, you will find lots of ideas for attatching a run to an existing hutch.

Thanks Dustyfield

Had a look around just trying to confirm before I hit the Buy It Now button and find that it is inappropriate. Like when I got my hutch everyone said it was huge and plenty of space to play around until I came on here I was told it is way too small.

I have now find something hopefully suitable. Can message the supplier but trying to buy it now instead of waiting for an answer tomorrow. Would I be able to attach http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/57-RABBIT-GUINEA-PLAYPEN-METAL-ROOF-ENCLOSURE-RUN-/250842081045?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Small_Animals&hash=item3a675a6715 to my hutch door?

Thanks

I am trying to buy wire mesh for the floor of the hutch because they are now trying to dig through.
This is my measurements H122 x W196 x D81cm. of hutch. How much do I need and where is the best place and what can I expect to pay, please?

Sorry for all the questions but need to get it sorted asap.
thanks

Back