• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should rabbits have toys/treats all year round or just occasionally?

Should rabbits have toys/treats all the time or occasionally?

• I give my rabbits toys/treats all year round

Votes: 70 94.6%
  • I give my rabbits toys/treats on their birthday/xmas

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I don't supply any toys/treats to my rabbits

Votes: 3 4.1%

• Total voters

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Currently I give my rabbits a few toys and treats on their birthday and at Xmas. They love them, but I'm wondering if they should have stuff all year round. They currently have a cardboard tunnel which they chew, but that's it.

They are getting a willow carrot, grass sticks, gnaw stones and a willow tunnel for their birthday next month. Should I buy them willow items and grass items regularly for them to chew and entertain themselves with?

ETA: if you do supply toys all year round, do you circulate the toys (ie give them a different toy every few days) or do you leave all their toys with them?

Mine have toys all year round. A lot of the time they ignore them, but on the days they decide they want to play it's lovely to see them having fun with their toys :)

All year round, of course! How would you feel if you were put in a space with the bare essentials and just had a ball to play with, for example?

I like to provide all sorts of different toys and things for enrichment. I do circulate them, but some toys they have all of the time.

I have a system...whoever has the most need..gets it that week (paid weekly:D)

Essentials such as food, animal food, bills and petrol come first...

Vets come first...then its whoever needs what the most..if one of the kids needs clothes or shoes they get it...then if any animal needs toys, treats etc they get it. One of my dogs needed cooler jumpers for the hot weather (he's old and cant regulate temperature) so his need came above the kids, even though one needed trainers:D

I believe toys comes as a must. I cant sit and do nothing so dont expect the animals too. I actually have needed shoes for the last three weeks but Bob needed jumpers, my son needed cubs trip money and Poppy needed some toys..they all got theirs first:oops: I dont buy rubbish though an always get toys that make the dogs/rabbit think and work. I would rather pay more money but it keep them busy for a long time:D I'm not sure if my way is the right way but it works for us:D

I dont always get the animals a lot for Xmas though because they get it all year round and I would rather treat the kids at Xmas time:oops: They get what ever money I have left after I have bought everyones pressie (not always much:oops: lol)

Mine have toys constantly. I feel they need the stimulation and ways of expressing their natural rabbity behaviours. They tend to have the same ones all the time and receive one or two top up ones at Christmas or birthdays, or as old ones need replacing.

We dont generally move their toys around that much but then they would only re-arrange them if we did.

As for treats, they dont get these all the time and we try to make them healthy ones like fresh herbs, leaves or twigs, or fenugreek crunchies.

Mine have about 5 toys full time, and I keep 3 apart and give them one each week, and switch them after washing. So they always think they have something new :lol: Except Arran, who at the moment is in his own hutch and just has one toy he completely ignores.

As for treats, yes they have them all year round too, mine get a banana chip or a yoghurt drop each morning when they come to say hello to me, and a little bit of weetabix once a week.

Mine don't play with toys and i get their treats from here when i see them or from nature :D

All year round definitely. I always give more expensive toys and more on their birthday/gotcha day and Christmas. But as they destroy certain smaller toys I replace them during the year and buy new different ones. :)

Oidhche has toys all year round, she has a large box and they are rotated weekly. She gets bored very easily so it keeps her stimulated.

All year round, of course! How would you feel if you were put in a space with the bare essentials and just had a ball to play with, for example?

I like to provide all sorts of different toys and things for enrichment. I do circulate them, but some toys they have all of the time.[/QUOTE]

Me to!:p I try to give them differnt bits & pieces now & then too...and differnt types of wood or forages stuff to chew on;)

Mine have about 4-5 toys each which I rotate (so they have 2 or 3 at once). You don't have to buy things either - cardboard boxes with holes cut out, and toilet roll tubes stuffed with hay are two of the favourites around here!

AMETHYST

yes mine have toys all year round, they have 2 tunnels, wooden blocks, ropes, a carrot patch etc but they are just as happy with toilet rolls, kitchen rolls, cardboard boxes things they can just chuck around, I wash out gravy tubs and things like that.. I often scour charity shops for things like building blocks etc
My buns also love jumping on things - the little plastic foot stools that pound shops sell are brilliant - Ive got 3 of different heights and they love running on and under them..

Willow toys always go down a treat too but they only have these occasionally because they demolish them so quickly :lol:

All year round. Just simple wooden/natural toys, most of which they ignore but it does keep them busy. I spoil mine rotten though! :oops:

Mine don't really play with anything. Unless you count Marnie trying to eat Rosies stickly bricks :roll:
It's not for lack of trying on my part though. I've spent a blooming fortune on toys for them....and do I get to watch them play and express themselves. No. they spend most of their time flopped on the floor or causing mischief :roll:
Damn bunnies :love:

I like to provide all sorts of different toys and things for enrichment. I do circulate them, but some toys they have all of the time.[/QUOTE]

Me to!:p I try to give them differnt bits & pieces now & then too...and differnt types of wood or forages stuff to chew on;)

Yeah, im always looking for something different. Ive just redone my run because they dont binky in it, so i guessed the different parts (soil, bark,branches, wood, willow etc) would make it more interesting for them. They love it, if Skye bonds with them, i might end up with 3 black rabbits instead of 2!

Mine have about 4-5 toys each which I rotate (so they have 2 or 3 at once). You don't have to buy things either - cardboard boxes with holes cut out, and toilet roll tubes stuffed with hay are two of the favourites around here!

AMETHYST

As above. About every 2 months I buy the willow and sea grass stuff too which they take turns with.

I also have logs which I rotate in the runs and plastic tunnels.

mine get toys and treats all year round too.
they play a lot with their toys, love the rattles and jingle ball but like willow balls etc too..

i change the stuff around in the run as well from tunnels to pop up tents and at the moment a dig box full of compost! :D

Back