• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

eye abscess-urgent advice Re:Lisa

Jackthepippa

New Kit
Hi there,
I am pretty new here but wanted to respond to the post about eye abscesses.
Cabbit, my 3 year old Mini Rex has a persistent abscess behind his eye. It originated from a blocked tear duct. I have tried Baytril and Taicil. But finally had to have surgery to drain and irrigate most of it but the vet felt that even removing the eye would not solve it. Her teeth ARE NOT the cause. My issue is the risk of other antibiotics and Cabbit's stroppy behaviour makes it near impossible for me to treat her and now she will not take well concealed Baytril. Each vet visit results in a day of not eating and I keep missing the 'window of opportunity' to get the correct dosage of Baytril down her. Her eye is good but bulgy. Antibiotic beads were put in after surgery. Will these work in the abscence of other antibiotics? I hear that injectable Duplocillin is good but I am told there is a kill or cure risk which always puts me off. Any ideas?
Cabbit is a house rabbit that believes she's a cat, hence the name. She lies in the under bed trundle draw with our 3 cats and I wonder whether they could have been the source of her infection?

I'm having trouble visualizing whereabouts this abscess it located on your bun. Is it behind the eye, or in the tear duct?

Baytril is unlikely to cure the problem tbh, and I'd expect a rabbit savvy vet to prescribe something like penicillin, which has to be given by injection under the skin (definitely NOT orally). Antibiotic beads can sometimes be used, but it depends on the location of the abscess and whether it drains into the mouth (the beads are toxic if ingested)

Good luck x

bumping this up to keep it current so others may have ideas

I think maybe the mods need to put it in another section for you where it will get more views?

sue:wave:

Back