• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Owner really hoping she's being paranoid+she doesn't have a bun with tooth problem

hannah.mc

Warren Scout
Hi all,

you'll be SICK of my posts.......

I'm a little worried about Buttons.....

She's very well in herself - eating and pooing well and active despite the warm weather.

But I feel the left side of her face is slightly different to the right and this morning I could have sworn one eye ball was slightly more protruding than the other.

But rationally I can't really be sure on any of it......

She had her myxi a month or so ago and her front teeth were ok - I had wanted the vet to look at the back ones but he didn't really seem very inclined to look which bugged me!!!

The most annoying thing is I was at the vet with my boy yesterday so could have taken her then......cue owner kicking herself!!!!!

I'm going to keep a very close eye on her and see how she goes.

Even if I think I'm imagining it I think I'll sort a dental check for her next week.....

Thanks for moral support, I suppose I just need to hear I'm not being neurotic or lax...........I love my girl to pieces, whatever life throws at us she just gets on with it!!!! :love:

If her eye is bulging it could be a retrobulbar abscess, which is usually caused by teeth roots, which may not to visible by examination inside the mouth. Respiratory problems can also cause the eyes to bulge, although you'd expect the bulging to be on both sides.

Good luck, and I hope it's nothing to worry about x

I know....a retrobulbar abscess is what I'm really hoping it isn't!!!!!

I've been peering at her hear from above (although she wonders what on earth I'm doing) and there's complete symmetry.
She had a wet nose after her myxi vac but that has cleared completely now and she had no discharge or respiratory symptoms.

She's grazed while out in her pen and done LOADS of healthy poos.

I worry she isn't quite right but I constantly worry about her!!!!! Having lost a bonded mate and now our new man living with us but them not being bonded yet she's a little trouper really!!!!!!

Genuinely I think I'm being neurotic but I need to see a vet I have faith in to get some reassurance.

I'll keep a super close eye on her and take things from there I think.

Vibes for Buttons please xxxxxxxxxxxx

If her eye is bulging it could be a retrobulbar abscess, which is usually caused by teeth roots, which may not to visible by examination inside the mouth. Respiratory problems can also cause the eyes to bulge, although you'd expect the bulging to be on both sides.

Good luck, and I hope it's nothing to worry about x

I would get her re-examined by a Rabbit Savvy Vet tomorrow. A protruding eye can be a symptom of a mass behind the eye, often associated with a tooth ROOT abscess. If this is also effecting facial nerves it can lead to a 'wonky' face- one side of the face seeming to droop. This feature is more common with recurrent ear infections though.

She's a lop so ear probs more of a problem I guess.......

Oh well I have one bun on batryl I may as live at the vet at the mo............

I'll get an early night and get up early tomorrow and get an appointment sorted..........

There is no discernable bulge, genuinely I think I'm being a neurotic bunny mum!

I hope it's nothing to worry about and the vet trip tomorrow can put your mind at ease. Sending lots of vibes for Buttons xx

Have managed to get an appointment for both buns this morning....he's making extra snuffly noises as he hoovers his food (he has an ear infection) so I'm taking him in 1 box so he can have his chest checked over and Madam CHops (my pet name for Buttons) for her non bulging eye and every so slightly not drooping face............I've not met the vet before but she's highly recommended by one on my palls of here. She will think I'm a nutter given the above symptoms I'm worried about :roll:

I hope you get them sorted, and that it is nothing after all, but you are doing the right thing by getting it checked out.

PS - My vet always thinks I'm a nutter, as I say things like 'I just know he's not 100%', when the bun actually looks as alert as anything to anyone else :lol: Sometimes us bunny mums and dads just know that something's not quite right.

Vibes, though, I hope she is ok :)

I'm officially neurotic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buttons has been thoroughily examined.............I even made the vet peer round at her back teeth.....though I may as well go for the complete MOT!!!!

Very nice and reliable rabbit savvy vet is entirely happy with her so I'm much happier also!!!!!

Isaac did me proud and made his snuffly noise for her which she agrees may mean he's brewing something in his chest but since he's on batryl and marboflox topically we're crossing our paws and hoping for the best!!!!

I'ld go and lie down to recover but I'm off to work in ten minutes!!!!!! SO much for a relaxing morning!!!!!

Thanks for moral support, one neurotic reassured!!!!

PS Buttons seems brighter pootling round the garden....I have a theory she's jealous of the boys when they have trips to the vet...she thinks they go to bunny spa for a massage!!!!! LOL!!!!! Now she knows....auroscope down her ears and in her mouth is not a massage!!!! :lol:

I'm really happy to hear everything's ok. You are not neurotic! Just very caring and a good bunny mum, which is the way it should be :) Just think if there had been something up and you hadn't taken her... It's always best to be on the safe side.

I hope Isaac's snuffles respond to the meds :)

Aye I am always told by my lovely vet that you should aways bring them in when you aren't happy as they are such stoic little things and generally won't tell you when something is up.

I'm really happy to hear everything's ok. You are not neurotic! Just very caring and a good bunny mum, which is the way it should be :) Just think if there had been something up and you hadn't taken her... It's always best to be on the safe side.

I hope Isaac's snuffles respond to the meds :)

Thank you!!!!!

I'ld rather be neurotic and have well buns than not notice and for them to get sick!!!!! She's v happy tonight pootling round and he's happy enough locked in the playpen!!!!

I'm now looking forward to them both being well and for me to try and bond them in a month or so. I want to see them all cuddled up!!!!

Thanks for vibes :love:

U/D.......bun worse but now better!!!!!!!!

Not managed to post til tonight as spent good chunk of day worrying about Buttons. She really wasn't herself last night so gave her some meds and some critical care last night. I got up at half 6 this morning to get her up for an hour before I went to work. She'ld passed very few poos overnight but as soon as I put her on the grass she passed poos-some nice normal ones,then some caets and then some normal ones. Her caet time is evening not morning. SO I fussed and cuddled her, gave her some more critical care and meds and popped her back in her hutch. Tonight when I got home she looked LOADS better and brighter. I've given her some more fuss and meds tonight and popped her into bed with some nice oat hay.
I wonder if she's had a subclinical stasis but main thing is she looks lots better and I should sleep better tonight!!!!
Thanks again for vibes!!!!

Back