• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Am I caring for bun properly? Plus question about castration.

ladyjen

New Kit
This is my 2nd attempt,so sorry if it comes up twice. Following your recent advice, bun now has hay, a small handful of rabbit food, and water, daily, but doesn't seem to be interested in vegetables.
No offence, but I don't want to have him castrated, as I feel as though he would lose his vitality and personality, to make life easier for me. However, he's spray weeing around the flat, and even on my foot (!), and gets a bit frantic at times, especially when I sweep up his poo. Is it really worth having him castrated for his own sake? (And what's the difference between castration and spaying?)
Last question - I work full time - is it cruel not to get another rabbit?
(P.s. - I will have him vaccinated against myxomatosis and vhd.)
Sorry for all of the questions - thanks again.
Jen.

Welcome to the site.

It's awesome you want to do the best for Bun.

Currently, everything he does is driven by his hormones. If he was neutered, he would be allowed to be himself and make his own choices, as opposed to being driven by an instinct to mate.

The difference between spaying and neutering is that neutering is the boys, where the contents of the testicles are removed, and spaying if the removal of the uterus in girls. So just gender and procedure, essentially they are bond 'fixing' a rabbit and making them unable to breed.

As for a friend, there are differing opinions on this, but I personally think it depends on the bunny. That said, if he is alone all day, as a sociable animal, then he is more likely to benefit from company, than want to be without it.

On my website (link in my sig), there may be some useful info on there for you about neutering and having friends under the section called 'Rabbit Info Articles'.

Castration refers to the neutering op for a male, spaying is for a female.

Neutering doesn't usually have any adverse affects on personality (ie. it shouldn't change who he is) but it is very likely to help with the undesirable behaviour (spraying etc).

If you were at home most of the day, then I would say he would be ok as a single bunny. Given that he is likely to be spending a lot of time on his own, he would be much happier with some company of his own kind. :)

Castration is the male op, spaying the female.

They don't loose their vitality, video to prove it! The black and white bunny is Smudge, who is a boy.

But it allows them to enjoy life without that constant drive to mate. It'll also mean you'll be able to bond him with another rabbit (preferably female) a lot easier. Rabbits are very social animals so they can get depressed if alone.

Hi Jen and welcome :wave:

It's great that you want to do the best by your bunny (got any photos, I'd love to see some :oops:)

Some of your questions have been answered already so I won't repeat what's already been said. I would say though that the behaviour you view as his "vitality and personality" which you don't want to change for your own convenience, is actually more than likely driven by sexual frustration rather than joy of life. So actually, getting him castrated would be for his best as well as for your convenience, because it would help him to relax and enjoy life without being driven by his hormones.

It sounds as if he's a housebunny, yes? I would not advocate keeping a single bunny alone outdoors, but I guess as a housebunny he has more chance to interact for you just while you're going about your normal business. Although having said that, I would still recommend getting him a friend. If you work for 8 hours a day, plus sleep for 8 hours, plus travelling, going out, shopping etc, then even if you spend every other waking hour of the day with him, that's still over two thirds of his time alone, which is an awful lot for a social creature. So personally while I wouldn't go so far as to say it was "cruel", I would say that it's far from ideal, especially with you working full time.

Good luck with your lovely boy :)

I definitely would have him neutered its the best thing for him neutering isnt for the owners sakes its for the buns. There are health risks involved if you dont get him neutered

well done for asking for help and advice not everyone would you clearly love your bun

Thanks everyone.

Thanks a lot, everybody - there's a consensus then, neutering's a good thing for the bunboy - I have to admit that's a relief, and you're right - he doesn't seem really happy, more frantic and charged up. So, from some of the advice I've read recently, I should get him neutered, then get a neutered female as a companion? I need to think about that, really, because fond of him as I am, I didn't really want a pet, but just felt so sorry for the poor little blighter. But, I'm committed, he is a nice little thing, and as I'm definately keeping him, I'll probably get him a companion.
(Cringe) - another question. I'm going on holiday for 4 days in 3 weeks. If I've got another bunny as company for number one bun by then, am I okay to leave them in the flat, with a window open, and ask my neighbour to change their water and top up their food each day? Or, should I put current bun (ho! ho! no pun intended) in boarding, if such a thing exists, and get another rabbit when I get back?
Santa, sorry, I'm no good with computers/photographs, but he's an albino - white with dark pink eyes. Shuette, great bunnies - love their colouring! They do a convincing job of showing that neutered rabbits keep their liveliness, and also that they like playing together.
Thanks again, everybody.

It's better if someone can pop in a couple of times a day. Unfortunately when rabbits are ill they do tend to hide it for a while and then suddenly go downhill. Also ideally bunnies need their hay topped up and refreshed at least twice a day. Bunnies are grazers and they do tend to leave hay that's been sitting for a while.

I personally wouldn't leave rabbits that have only been bonded for three weeks or less. Bonds take weeks to strengthen and fully establish, bunny behaviour can be a funny thing! Also three weeks after neutering your boy will likely be only just loosing his hormones so any bond before then will be a lot more difficult and edgy.

It's better if someone can pop in a couple of times a day. Unfortunately when rabbits are ill they do tend to hide it for a while and then suddenly go downhill. Also ideally bunnies need their hay topped up and refreshed at least twice a day. Bunnies are grazers and they do tend to leave hay that's been sitting for a while.

I personally wouldn't leave rabbits that have only been bonded for three weeks or less. Bonds take weeks to strengthen and fully establish, bunny behaviour can be a funny thing! Also three weeks after neutering your boy will likely be only just loosing his hormones so any bond before then will be a lot more difficult and edgy.

:thumb:

It also takes a little while to book the op, get it done and wait for hormones to subside a little (at least 2 weeks) so there wouldn't be enough time even to fit that all in before you go away. ;) So, ideally, I would try to get him neutered before you go away (assuming he's old enough now) and then you can look more into getting him a companion when you get back. :)

Ladyjen - you sound like a fantastic bunny owner and i think your new bunny is lucky to have a caring bunny mummy like you who's willing to come in and ask these questions and take on board the advice given. RU really is an eye opener and there certainly is lots to learn on here. Best of luck to you and your rabbit.

Ladyjen - you sound like a fantastic bunny owner and i think your new bunny is lucky to have a caring bunny mummy like you who's willing to come in and ask these questions and take on board the advice given. RU really is an eye opener and there certainly is lots to learn on here. Best of luck to you and your rabbit.

Fully agree with Grin :thumb:

I agree with what the others have said. It is great that you are seeking advice :)

We all love it when people are genuinely trying their best for their bunnies :)

Hee-ee-ey, "bunny mummy", like it! Thanks yet again, bunsters! I'm taking bun to the vet's tonight for an initial consultation, then he'll have his shots, be neutered, and the vet's suggested some sort of package deal, where he's protected against something else I can't remember, & has 3 months' insurance, and I'm sure they mentioned some sort of microchip implant.
Gawd help me, I 've got to get him into a 'port-a-pet' cardboard box thing, to take him to the vet - stand by for scratching/biting/weeing/leaping around. Ah, well, has to be done.
Righty-ho, he'll get his little bunny ladyfriend a minimum of 4 weeks after the deed's been done. (P.s., hopefully, the vet can tell me how old he is, so I can get a female of around the same age.)
Very grateful for the help. (P.s. I'll ask my neighbour if he can nip in a couple of times a day - I'm off on a Monday, and back on a Thursday, so shouldn't be too bad.)
Kermit, I've just read your post - I'm sorry to hear your upsetting news, that's sad for you.

Last edited:
yay ! :)

just to add, i had my Flopsy (male) neutered in Feb, he is my only bun i have had neutered so far and I was really worried about the things you mentioned but it hasnt changed his personality at all, he has just stopped weeing on me when he doenst want to be stroked and doesnt bite or scrat on my lap anymore, otherwise no change! They are quiet for the first 24hrs afterwards but he has been totally fine.

just a note though, its best to wait 6 weeks before bonding as i read somewhere that someone's lady bun had got pregnant after being with a male neutered 5 weeks previously.

Roseberry, thanks for the reassurance. Also good to know that bunboy will stop the annoying stuff! I'll wait a couple of months, then, to get another rabbit, to be on the safe side. thanks again.

Last edited:
Back