• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

spare a vibe?

Lolly's mum

Mama Doe
another trip to the vet today. When i got home Barnes had laid some nuggets of black gold, not as big as they should be but better than the "pepper-corn" type poohs he's been doing lately, he'd also eaten more dry food.

yesterday the vet said he couldn't hear any gurgling tummy noises, said that Barnes is certainly not at deaths door but still not out of the woods.went back today, saw a different vet who really took her time to listen with the stethoscope, she said she could hear some gurgling on one side.

they sent me home with a powder for his water called Bio Lapis, and i go back again tomorrow.

if anyone can spare some vibes they would be very welcome, for a little snotty bunny found in a garden in Barnsley, in the rain, who found his forever home with me. his candle is still burning bright.

thanks, em

:cry:

What a sad little story!!!!
Fight hard Mr Barnsely for your mamma, she clearly loves you very much!!!!!

xxxxx

another trip to the vet today. When i got home Barnes had laid some nuggets of black gold, not as big as they should be but better than the "pepper-corn" type poohs he's been doing lately, he'd also eaten more dry food.

yesterday the vet said he couldn't hear any gurgling tummy noises, said that Barnes is certainly not at deaths door but still not out of the woods.went back today, saw a different vet who really took her time to listen with the stethoscope, she said she could hear some gurgling on one side.

they sent me home with a powder for his water called Bio Lapis, and i go back again tomorrow.

if anyone can spare some vibes they would be very welcome, for a little snotty bunny found in a garden in Barnsley, in the rain, who found his forever home with me. his candle is still burning bright.

thanks, em

Get well soon, Barnes. You had a horrible start but now you're with someone who loves you lots.:wave:

Barnes update

saw a different vet today (i REALLY hate that, he clearly didn't bother to read medical history before calling us in, I had to tell HIM why we there)
anyway, he listened to the bunny tummy and said he heard a slight gurgling, but he didn't take barnes out of the carrier so he was listening to the gut of a hunched-up rabbit with rapid breathing 'cos he was nervous, the vet CLEARLY dosn't have confidence with rabbits!!

more injections and back again tomorrow. Barnes has produced some more normal nuggets of black gold but they still seem to be a bit dehydrated, but still much better than they were.

regarding the Bio Lapis powder, if i dip some kale into the water to encourage barnes to take it, he turns his nose up, but if i do it with basil leaves he gobbles it up.

em

Would your vet teach you how to give the injections yourself?
Taking a bun in daily especially if he is stressed seems cruel.
Stasis can be a long haul. Equally it CAN be managed with oral medication.
I would seriously ask either for oral meds or to be taught to give the injections yourself.
It isn't about the cost but the stress to your lovely bun.
What meds is he getting? General consensus on here seems to be metoclopramide plus zantac works well, some use domperidone as well with metacam for pain IF appropriate. ALL of these meds can be used orally.

Encourage Mr Barnsley to drink plenty - tell him I said it was good for him!!!!!

:love:

Would your vet teach you how to give the injections yourself?
Taking a bun in daily especially if he is stressed seems cruel.
Stasis can be a long haul. Equally it CAN be managed with oral medication.
I would seriously ask either for oral meds or to be taught to give the injections yourself.
It isn't about the cost but the stress to your lovely bun.
What meds is he getting? General consensus on here seems to be metoclopramide plus zantac works well, some use domperidone as well with metacam for pain IF appropriate. ALL of these meds can be used orally.

Encourage Mr Barnsley to drink plenty - tell him I said it was good for him!!!!!

:love:

the problem with barnes and i is that i don't pick him up or handle him (other than stroking, kissing and brushing) oral meds would be ok as long as i could disguise them - when barnes had antibiotics for snuffles, i would crush the tablet into half a grape and that worked.

i don't feel i would be confident with injecting - even though i work in an operating theatre and am used to drawing up drugs etc, to hold him still and inject correctly would be difficult as i'm a single bunny mummy.

the oral meds route would be best, the drugs he is getting (sorry, no names) Antibiotic, Anti-inflammatory, and one to encourage gut motility.

em x

Back