• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mucoid Enteritis

Rabbitfan

Young Bun
I've lost 8 out 10 of a litter of 10 week old babies with mucoid enteritis. I've lost 2 others that accidently came into contact with the babies enclosure (an escapee, then his sister). 1 of the 2 from the original 10 that are still alive looks like it's going down with it. It's 8 days since they were with the poorly ones. What is the incubation of this terrible infection? I've tried everything that been suggested plus everything the vet has offered but not one has survived. I'm devastated.

All infected buns had metoclop. and zantac x2 daily until they died. I also administered 1 ml Lactulose x2 daily.
I put 'offered' because she would only deal with the bloat and gave nothing to help with anything else, such as dealing with the infection? Probably I'm just grasping at straws that something else could have been done. Everything I read says it's a pretty hopeless case in rabbits so young but I was hopeful something would work.

It must be awful for you to deal with :cry:

Maybe the Vet would be willing to treat the remaining Rabbits to cover for the possibility of Coccidiosis ?

I have started to treat them with panacur. Information about coccidiosis always talks about diarrhoea but non of my buns have had it. Just mucusy droppings to start with then bloating. Nothing moves after that.

Panacur wont get rid of coccidiosis.Im so sorry to hear what you are going through,the same thing happened to a friend of mine a few years ago,all her conti babies dies from this.

I have started to treat them with panacur. Information about coccidiosis always talks about diarrhoea but non of my buns have had it. Just mucusy droppings to start with then bloating. Nothing moves after that.

Fenbendazole (Panacur) wont effectively treat Coccidiosis. Scroll down to the bottom of this link for details of treatment options

http://wildlife1.wildlifeinformation.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Coccidiosis_Hedgehog.html

With coccidiosis death sometimes occurs before any diarrhoea presents :cry:

A fecal sample may give your Vet some indication as to the pathogen you are dealing with.

Read your sticky from last year and been onto vets to try prevention rather than cure (not that there is any cure!). There's a suggestion that medication can be given before they get it. I'm paranoid about all the other buns contracting it. I use Virkon but it seems disinfectants don't stop it spreading. Someone suggested boiling water!

Read your sticky from last year and been onto vets to try prevention rather than cure (not that there is any cure!). There's a suggestion that medication can be given before they get it. I'm paranoid about all the other buns contracting it. I use Virkon but it seems disinfectants don't stop it spreading. Someone suggested boiling water!

Do you have or could you hire/buy a steam cleaner ?

Jeyes Fluid kills coccidia, but obviously Jeyes itself is highly toxic so there would need to be alot of rinsing down with boiling water after using Jeyes and then allowing the treated area to dry out and air completely. The whole process may take 2-3 days whereas a steam cleaner would be much quicker and, IMO, safer.

We've got a small one, will have a go with that.
The 2 babies that are left have been with all the others that have died. One of them passed mucusy pellets 2 days ago but (touch wood) he's looking and acting fine, as is the other one. Does this mean, if they survive, they will be carriers and if so they wont be able to be bonded with any other rabbit will they?
Can I take this opportunity to thank you for your on-going advice. It has helped me so much to talk and have someone listen. I've felt so rubbish and isolated and guilty going through this. Thanks.

If they make it there is no reason why the remaining babies should not be bonded with other Rabbits. *If* it is Coccidiosis and they survive they will be immune to that particular strain of Coccidia (there are over 20 other strains I think).

The link I posted before gives lots of info about susceptibility and transmission

This link is informative too

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Protozoal_diseases/Cocc_en.htm

I really hope the two babies can remain well :)

Back