• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Current thinking on Amoxicillin?

AFAIK Amoxicillin is best avoided as there are many other safer alternatives :?

I did once have a Rabbit who was given Co-amoxiclav (amoxicillin/clavulanic acid combo) by a previous Vet. The Rabbit had pneumonia. There were no adverse reactions to the abx and the Rabbit did recover. But I am not sure if that was more luck than anything else as the Vet was pretty lethal with Rabbits.

AFAIK Amoxicillin is best avoided as there are many other safer alternatives :?

I did once have a Rabbit who was given Co-amoxiclav (amoxicillin/clavulanic acid combo) by a previous Vet. The Rabbit had pneumonia. There were no adverse reactions to the abx and the Rabbit did recover. But I am not sure if that was more luck than anything else as the Vet was pretty lethal with Rabbits.

Yeah, that's what I thought...but there seems to be lots of buns prescribed it recently...so I wonder if the advice had been revised or something? :?

I wonder if it's worth a RWA member asking for some advice from the RWA vet? I'm not a member so can't ask. Anyone up for it? :wave:

I wonder if it's worth a RWA member asking for some advice from the RWA vet? I'm not a member so can't ask. Anyone up for it?

Richard recommended trying penicillin for Bluebell but he was carefully to mention that 'The use of the former requires informed consent from the owner regarding the potential risks of GI dysbiosis.'

We have tried alot of different meds so it seems a good option for us now. However when I first asked my vet about it a few months ago he was very unsure as he always tried to avoid it where possible. He seemed quite surprised that so many buns on here seem to of used it.

Back