• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

should i get another rabbit

bebbsie1

New Kit
hi i got 2 mini lop eared rabbits 4 weeks ago mopsy and flopsyand had to have mopsy put down today should i get another one for flopsy as he might get lonely or should i just have the one

thanks michelle

I would get another to be honest, that way they can grow up together and be neutered at the same time. Try get one the same age :wave:

if i were you, i would get him neutered (but i think you will have to wait a few weeks) and pair him with a female bunny from a rescue. You could bond them sooner if she is a bit older and already neutered as you have to wait 6 weeks for males to no longer be fertile.

Bunnies are happier in pairs, when you arent able to interact with them they always have each other so you dont have to worry about them being lonely.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry to hear about your bunny. :(

Rabbits are social animals and are generally happier with a friend of their own kind. Given that your bunny is almost old enough to be neutered though I think it would be a good idea to get that done first and then find him a friend afterwards. :):)

sorry for your loss :(
It is generally better to have more than one bunny. If you got another baby, say a girl of the same age or less you may be able to bond them and they will stay bonded through both neuterings. I have also successfully known three young boys be bonded with already spayed older does and they stayed bonded without any problems through the neuter. Boy bunnies can be neutered suprisingly early, as soon as their bits have dropped and they are big enough to survive an anastetic (generally weight more than 1kg) although some vets wont neuter before 6 months. If you say what area you are in people can recommend good rabbit vets and rabbit rescues in your area. Rescues obviously have home checking and minimum hutch standards for their bunnies. As has been said though the most likely way of getting a successful bond if they haven't grown up together is introducing to already neutered bunnies. They need 6/ 12 weeks to fully recover from the op and for all the hormones to get out of their system

If it was me I neuter your rabbit first and then adopt an already speyed/neutered rabbit from a rescue and bond them then. Opposite sexs work best so male/female.

hi i got 2 mini lop eared rabbits 4 weeks ago mopsy and flopsyand had to have mopsy put down today should i get another one for flopsy as he might get lonely or should i just have the one

thanks michelle

well i would say no because they would have to be together since birth because my guinea pig use to live with my bunny but she passed away and i would never keep another bunny or guinea pig with her because she enjoys bing by herself aslong aas you give your bunny lots of attention if you are at work most of time its better to get her lots of toys

thanks michelle

I would definitely recommend getting another bun to keep Flopsy company.

I have had rabbits for a few years now, at first as singles, but now always, always as pairs. They are so much happier with one of their own species to snuggle with.

I give them as much attention as I can but I'm at work for 8 hours and asleep for another 8 - so if I had a single bun, he would still be alone for a minimum of 16 hours!

It might be best to wait until Flopsy is neutered and then see about adopting a female rabbit from a rescue. The rescue will "bond" your rabbits for you, that is, introduce them gradually on a neutral territory, to give them the best chance of getting along. If it doesn't work out, there's no obligation to keep the new rabbit, as there would be if you'd bought her from a shop.

It's not true that rabbits have to be together from birth to get along, and no amount of toys can ever be a substitute for a the companionship of another living creature.

Best of luck, and I'm very sorry about the loss of Mopsy :(

well i would say no because they would have to be together since birth because my guinea pig use to live with my bunny but she passed away and i would never keep another bunny or guinea pig with her because she enjoys bing by herself aslong aas you give your bunny lots of attention if you are at work most of time its better to get her lots of toys

OK, first, no they don't have to be together since birth, and second guinea pigs should NEVER be kept with rabbits! :shock:

And rebecca, please get another bun! I feel strongly about this subject, because when we lost my bun for a few hours, it's partner was devestaded, and almost went into stasis. Please consider it xx

Back