• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

indoor rabbit holding it in

Bunny Mum2b

Warren Scout
Hi,

I would just like to check how much of a problem this is - we've removed everything in my bunnys room that he can hop on to give him more space whilst he is recovering. This has really brightened him up.

The problem is that he seems to forget where his litter tray is and isn't going to the toilet on a frequent basis. He hasn't stopped pooping or weeing, he just seems to be saving it up n going to the toilet in one big go.

Is this normal?

My other boy isn't litter trained (he has issues!) And he poops constantly everywhere all the time - so maybe he is giving me the wrong impression about rabbit toilet habits.

I'm not worried about the poop in quantity or size.

as you removed everything (which you had to of course) perhaps he sees it as a different place and wants to mark his territory? perhaps his system is working but slow after the op?

sorry can't offer any more thoughts on it

sue:wave:

Gracie sometimes holds onto her wee, if shes out of my room or having cuddles, they she will pee for england in her tray!

My house-bun Rolo can hold everything in forever! Then poo and wee when he feels comfortable, usually in the bathroom.

I was worried and had a word with Vet....not unusual in house-buns. some do it, some dont.

I wouldnt worry. He's been with me since October and has been doing it since then and he's fine. Happy, healthy and very naughty:roll:

Rach x

Oidhche does this when she's adventuring - she will hide under the bed for hours at a time, her litter tray is in the kitchen. The minute she goes back through she heads straight for the litter tray. She has always done it so I wouldn't worry about it.

What is he recovering from? Is it possible that sitting in the litter tray is uncomfortable for him, so he does it all at once to save having to sit in it?

My house-bun Rolo can hold everything in forever! Then poo and wee when he feels comfortable, usually in the bathroom.

I was worried and had a word with Vet....not unusual in house-buns. some do it, some dont.

I wouldnt worry. He's been with me since October and has been doing it since then and he's fine. Happy, healthy and very naughty:roll:

Rach x

Thank you so much for posting about Rolo. It sounds exactly like my rabbit! I can stop worrying so much now!

Thank you!

Oidhche does this when she's adventuring - she will hide under the bed for hours at a time, her litter tray is in the kitchen. The minute she goes back through she heads straight for the litter tray. She has always done it so I wouldn't worry about it.

What is he recovering from? Is it possible that sitting in the litter tray is uncomfortable for him, so he does it all at once to save having to sit in it?

He seems fine going in his litter tray frequently when he is locked in his cage, its just when he is out and about - its like he doesn't want to waste the time of having to go back to his litter tray so holds it all in.

He seems fine going in his litter tray frequently when he is locked in his cage, its just when he is out and about - its like he doesn't want to waste the time of having to go back to his litter tray so holds it all in.

This is exactly what Oidhche does - doesn't want to move from her comfy spot! :lol:

Back