• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

URGENT -- Milo ate chocolate =(

sidereus7

Mama Doe
My vet is closed and none of the emergency places open know jack about bunnies.

Milo is having severe diarrhea after ingesting about 1.5oz of chocolate. What do I do? He won't eat or drink barely anything and just sits hunched over. :cry:

(I know this belongs in the Health section, but I'm freaking out and wanted to make sure it got seen. Sorry for clogging the rabbit chat.)

Is it actual liquid diorhhea?

When does your vet open? If it's liquid like water then depending on when they open I'd jump in the car with him and try to get there for when they open.

It's 11:30pm here, so they won't open for at least another 7 hours.

It's not total liquid. It was just a pureed pile of it. I've never seen that come out of him before, and his bottom is so messy. I gave him a bunny bath to get it all off and thoroughly dried him. I tried to get him to eat a whole host of things, but he will barely nibble at it. I tried putting apple juice into his water to flavor it as well, but he still wouldn't try.

He had a bit of Fibreplex this morning, but he won't take any more now.

Oh dear :cry:

He really does need Veterinary treatment as there is little you can do at home if he is refusing fluids by mouth and he is in obvious pain.

Even an non Rabbit savvy Vet should be able to deal with the basics- ie fluid therapy and pain relief.

This may then buy him some time before you get him to a more Rabbit Savvy Vet for further treatment.

I seriously would not delay getting in contact with an emergency Vet.

Sending millions of vibes for him xx

Oh dear :cry:

He really does need Veterinary treatment as there is little you can do at home if he is refusing fluids by mouth and he is in obvious pain.

Even an non Rabbit savvy Vet should be able to deal with the basics- ie fluid therapy and pain relief.

This may then buy him some time before you get him to a more Rabbit Savvy Vet for further treatment.

I seriously would not delay getting in contact with an emergency Vet.

Sending millions of vibes for him xx

Thanks Jane.

All day, I thought it was because I gave him less than a teaspoon of this peach smoothie I had, so I figured it would pass and I would just load him up on tons of hay. It wasn't until now, about 24 hours later, that I found the chocolate on the ground. I feel like such an awful bunny mom. =(

Do you have any idea what the dosage is on the sub q fluids for a small bunny? He's a pure Holland Lop, so he's rather tiny. I just want to know as much as I can before I see a non rabbit-savvy vet.

Thanks Jane.

All day, I thought it was because I gave him less than a teaspoon of this peach smoothie I had, so I figured it would pass and I would just load him up on tons of hay. It wasn't until now, about 24 hours later, that I found the chocolate on the ground. I feel like such an awful bunny mom. =(

Do you have any idea what the dosage is on the sub q fluids for a small bunny? He's a pure Holland Lop, so he's rather tiny. I just want to know as much as I can before I see a non rabbit-savvy vet.

I would request 20ml/kg subcutaneously, I would not want a non Rabbit Savvy Vet to administer IV fluids.

Fluid therapy would need to be repeated every couple of hours, especially if more diarrhoea is passed.

I got him to eat a some watermelon and now he's eating his carrots I offered him earlier!!

I think I may wait a bit to see if this upswing of eating continues. I don't want to traumatize him by dragging him to the vet if he's eating at home.

Keep eating, Milo!!

Naughty Milo. I hope he's starting to feel better soon.

Sending some Hay Munching Vibes his way.

Thats good news :D Getting him to eat as much juicy veggies/fruit as you can would be good because it dilutes the chocolate. Its a shame rabbits can't puke :(

Do you know how much he had in grams? I had this a while ago and the vet said 15g per kg of dark choc in a rabbit is the maximum safe amount really.

So do you know how much your bun weighs and how much chocolate he has had?

If there is gut problems I would really say straight to the vet, whether rabbit-savvy or not.

The vet said the main concern is that the cafeine and cocoa in the chocolate could cause the heart rate to rise, and also a risk of fitting which if happens would be likely to result in death. He reccommended I keep him confined in a dark room.

Sending lots of vibes for Milo. xxxxxx

I would still take him to the vet as soon as you can. I hope he will be okay. xxxxx

Back