• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poor quality hay

rabswood

Wise Old Thumper
Went to get my usual 2 bales of hay from the farm this weekend and the barn was empty :shock: apart from about half a dozen bales put to one side. The farmer said he had sold out and because of all the rain we've been having he's not been able to cut any fresh.

Desperate for hay I agreed to take 2 of the crappy looking ones put to one side. He only charged me a pound each. I said I didn't know if my buns would eat it, they are very choosey. He said 'if they are hungry enough they will'

Beige and the rest of the Rabsville bucks are going to the farm tonight to eat his crops.

Have checked the hay, it's not moldy or anything just doesn't smell very appetizing, has a dried earthy smell. Will be fine for litter trays, I'll just have to use it up that way and get some better stuff for their hay racks. My babies love their hay.

Aw no :( That's no good!
I don't buy from a farm, I buy from hay for pets. If you're looking for something to tide you over they're pretty good. I wish I were a rabbit who was fed their ings hay, it smells gorgeous!

More often than not the hay from the farm is really good and having 10 bunnies and 2 piggies they go through tonnes of it. I haven't heard of the one you mentioned so will check it out.

I haven't been able to get 'farm' bales either for a while - wrong time of year before the new season stuff comes in. I had to resort to dust free hay, 5 x bags delivered £20 as they had sold out of bales too - bags are about same size as the large pet shop ones but they do go further & it smells a lot better, I've only gone through 2 bags so far since Thursday & that's good as I have 9 bunnies :D

Mine haven't been great either. The buns will eat it but not with anywhere near as much enthusiasm. Thankfully by chance I found another local supplier and theirs seem to be ok so I bought as many bales as I could fit in my ka!

The hay I've been getting here has been quite rubbish too :( Can't wait for the new crop!

If someone had told me 5 years ago that soon i'd be fretting about the age of hay, I wouldn't have believed them....

The hay I've been getting here has been quite rubbish too :( Can't wait for the new crop!

If someone had told me 5 years ago that soon i'd be fretting about the age of hay, I wouldn't have believed them....

:lol: or what rabbit poos look like :lol:

Mine haven't touched the hay in their racks. They're not daft. I've bought them some forage to compensate until I can get a better bale. Trouble is now I have two rubbish bales taking up my hay storage space :( it's going to take ages to use it all up in litter trays.

Mine has been horrible lately. All brown and 'crinkly'. Buns are not impressed.
It's also gone up from £1.70 per kg to £2.50 per kg :shock: That's one hell of a shoot up in price.

I am waiting on a new order now, I hoe its better than the last stuff. Glad Im not the only one suffering to get good hay.

Back