• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Unhappy reggie

Sally

New Kit
Hi 

My buck French lop seems to be miserable all the time and I don't no why? Is it in there nature or is he just unhappy? He has giant hutch and I offer for him to come out but he just lays there! He has a buddy in separate hutch they can see each other so he has company ??
Feel gutted for him!

X

Last edited:
Hi

Is there a reason why he can't be bonded with your other rabbit ??
Is he neutered ??
What sex is the other rabbit ?

^ Those

And also...have you had him thoroughly check by a vet in case of any hidden health problems? Rabbits can hide illnesses very well and sometimes the only symptom is a general lethargy or depression. Has he always been like this? How old is he?

my pair don't do much either, only time Alvin shows joy is food time other than that he is just lounging about or grooming.

Hi

How large is the hutch? Sadly many pet stores (and other retailers) use the word giant for hutches which aren't even close to general guide lines.

Does he always act like this? If not, he could be ill and need vet treatment.

The best way to keep rabbits happy are to have them neutered and bond them with another rabbit for company so that they can live together.

:wave:

Tried bonding but it was so distressing for bella! He really hated her. Reggie has been neutered. I was told a female rabbit would be best but it was awful when we tried. They have joint hutches with a bit separating them so they can lick ech other but can't properly get to one another.

Sally

Hi and welcome to RU.:)

you will see some threads on here called "bonding".

They are where rabbits pair up for life which makes them much happier than just seeing a friend in another hutch.

Reggie is probably unhappy because he wants a girlfriend. (Is your other rabbit female or male? male and female bond best though 2 boy rabbits can bond-especially if they are brothers.)

You would need to neuter him of course, before you can consider bonding him.

There's lots of info on here.:)
sue:wave:

I see you have a female rabbit. perhaps you could ask a rescue to do the bonding for you? Some rabbits bond quickly while others take weeks. There seems to be 2 methods of bonding -a quick route and a slow route. Were the rabbits introduced in a neutral place?
sue :wave:

Last edited:
Sally;4775872 said:
Tried bonding but it was so distressing for bella! He really hated her. Reggie has been neutered. I was told a female rabbit would be best but it was awful when we tried. They have joint hutches with a bit separating them so they can lick ech other but can't properly get to one another.

Sally

Is Bella also neutered? If not, that could have been the problem.

There are a lot of threads on here which may help with methods too, such as ensuring the area is neutral.

Sally;4775872 said:

Sally

Hutch is pretty large and we have made a huge run area outside! He us eating and drinking. He's gone down hill since bella arriving!! Could it be jealousy?

Sally;4775892 said:
Hutch is pretty large and we have made a huge run area outside! He us eating and drinking. He's gone down hill since bella arriving!! Could it be jealousy?

Not had bella spayed could this be it do you think? She is 1 years old now would it be too late?

Sally;4775907 said:
Not had bella spayed could this be it do you think? She is 1 years old now would it be too late?

That is more thank likely why the bonding did not work. A year old is not too old to be spayed :)
It would take several weeks after spaying for her hormones to settle down, but after that bonding should be much easier than before.

Hi

How large is the hutch? Sadly many pet stores (and other retailers) use the word giant for hutches which aren't even close to general guide lines.

Does he always act like this? If not, he could be ill and need vet treatment.

The best way to keep rabbits happy are to have them neutered and bond them with another rabbit for company so that they can live together.

:wave:

I'm so sad too hear that  x

That is more thank likely why the bonding did not work. A year old is not too old to be spayed :)
It would take several weeks after spaying for her hormones to settle down, but after that bonding should be much easier than before.

That's what I shall do then!! Thank you. It's my first time on here it's great!
Thanks to everyone  x

He could be unhappy ..

Suddenly another bunny took over his territory and he wants to get at her..
And is she spayed ??
There are professional bonders on this forum maybe one lives in your area to do the bonding for you or maybe try a rabbit rescue near you who could also do the bonding for a donation which would go towards the care of the rescue rabbits

do get a vet who has experience with rabbits to do the op.
If you say which area you are in then other members my be able to recommend someone to you?

I had a rabbit savvy vet spay my bunny Sooty when she was 9yrs old with no problems.:)

this may help?-(questions to ask your vet when finding a good vet to spay your bunny).
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=84269

sue:wave:

Back