• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how do I know what breed of rabbit?

mysti77

New Kit
We've got two bunnies yesterday as my brother in law had to move.
This is what they look like

268472_10150664249300162_736005161_19389442_1207594_n.jpg

I'm sure those are my rabbits! :lol:

I have Dopeys who looks about 95% the same as those!

They are likely to be a cross breed, or an unshowable type. My Dopeys are pure bred netherland swarfs but you wouldn't know it to look at them.

the closest i'm thinking is a mini rex. dont care to show them, just wondering on breed because i know different breeds of dogs and cats have different temparaments and needs. I'm new to bunny ownership so wondering if it was the same and wanted more information on the breed.

I wouldn't worry too much about breeds, they will tell you their needs and personalities :) I hope they are not as stupid as mine. :lol:

The reason I mentioned showing is that the breed standards are based on showable rabbits, so you can have a purebred something that doesn't look like it should and might be identified as something else on spec in this way.

These are mine :D

20081227_99.jpg

They're definitely not rexes, rexes have a different kind of coat.

Do you know where the previous owner got them from?

In my opinion breed is not a major factor in rabbit temperament, it's more down to the individual rabbit.

They are beautiful whatever they are though, hope you enjoy them (Although they'll be in charge of your house before you know it ;) ) :love: :love:

no clue where they got them from. so far it seems the female hisses at us when we try to pick her up. so we just leave her and wait until she gets back in her hutch on her own. won't be too good when we're in a hurry and need them back in though.

Back