• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Greens

TriL1

Warren Scout
Hi, my bunny is 15 weeks old, i've been given him some greens slowly one at a time to make sure he ok, how much should you give them and when, should you spread it out during the day in morning then at night? I read so much what you can and cant give that decided to stick to the ones that are def safe. Although does anyone give their rabbit cucumber or cabbage as i've heard some do and some say you shouldnt? gets bit confusing?x:?

I personally don't feed any brassicas (cabbage, spring greens, brussels, etc) as I've found they give two of my four gas. So I stick to herbs (either from the shop in winter or from the garden in summer) and weeds (bramble leaves, dandelions, plantain, goosegrass).

I also always give greens after dinner, purely because it's easier for me. I split their pellets instead as for mine this is a much better indicator of if they are are eating as they will sometimes refuse greens but never pellets unless they are ill.

How much vegetables you give them really is a personal choice. Some choose not to give them at all and others give only a small amount while others a larger amount. I personally think they should be provided to rabbits and i give a good amount to my four rabbits. Mine would have about two handfuls of leafy greens each.

You can spread it out and split up the portions so its some on the morning and some at night. This is actually better for them as rabbits are grazers so its best to have small meals at different times rather than one huge meal. I used to give morning and evening but currently I just give them a piece of pepper every morning when I am giving it to my guinea pigs. But I will be going back to feeding a small amount every morning and then a medium amount every night.

Mine get cucumber and cabbage regulary.
Any lettuce can be fed except for iceberg lettuce, herbs are great for rabbits and I find they are a huge favourite but not chives so things like parsely, corrriander, basil, mint.
Cabbage, brocoli, brussel sprouts, pok choi, can sometimes lead to gas but I feed all that regulary and never had any problem, carrots should be kept to as a treat but carrot tops are a favourite.
Celery is fine but should be chopped up in to 1/4inch pieces to prevent chocking on strings, rocket and kale are fine, tomatos are fine but dont over do them, spinich is ok on small portions but not to much and not to often,

Also fruits can be fed but should be a treat. Fruits like apples, pears, watermelon, oranges, banana, blueberries, strawberries etc.

You can also pick things from outside like dandelions, plantain,
brambles, etc.

Basically when feeding vegetables you want to focus on leafy green vegetables. Introduce one at a time and slowly and i your rabbit turns his nose up at it then introduce it again and again in a few weeks time as they may start to like it.

I meant to add these to my post. A couple of examples of my bunnies' dinners.

522d8c35.jpg

Lions on the left, lops on the right - there are carrot tops, plantain, sage in there, probably also some mint and dandelion leaves.

114dbfb6.jpg

Lions on the left, lops on the right - sage, dandelion, plantain again in there plus some goosegrass. :)

As you can see the amount can vary. Some days they don't get any if I can't get outside for some reason but I try to make up for it the next day. The bottom one is much more of a 'normal' dinner. They rarely get as much as the top image.

Last edited:
That really is fantastic information, just what I needed to know. Looking up other information on the websites can sometimes be confusing and contridicting but this has really helped, im glad I come across this forum, everyone is sooo helpful. Thank you everyone perfect information.xx:D

Back