• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter Tray

TriL1

Warren Scout
Whats the best litter tray to buy, thats big enough to go in a sleeping area of an outdoor hutch to fit 2 bunnies, obviously possibly sleeping in there.x:wave:

Large washing up bowl from wilkinsons....I have tried lots of cat versions, washing up bowl definitely the best option in my opinion. You might find you need to cut a shallow curve on one corner with a stanley knife so they can get in and out with out catching their back on the partition :love:

lovely, thank you very much, my bun seems to like doing his business in the sleeping area, I got a P@H one but it dont seem big enough to relax in properly, plus he does seem to go wee at the side of it sometimes too, so thought if its bigger more chance will get it in the litter tray, i've heard people say the underbed storage boxes from wilkinson too, do you think they are too high?:D

Mine use the bedroom as the toilet too, I think they like privacy when they go. Underbed storage are a great idea but are usually bigger than the bedroom area which is why I find the next best thing is a large washing up bowl with the front corner modified...will try and remember to take a piccie tomorrow. They are deep enough to catch those high wees!

Some people on here just use washing up bowls without cutting a bit out so you could try that first. :) As Guy&FawkesBunnies says most rabbits will poop where they feel safe and in a hutch this is usually in the bedroom bit!

finally got round to taking a piccie to give you an idea of what I was trying to explain!
2011-06-29114648.jpg

2011-06-29114625.jpg

Last edited:
it depends what you bunny likes too, my barney likes to perch in his in teh corner and be higher up, others only wee in them and thats it.

Mine use the bedroom as the toilet too, I think they like privacy when they go. Underbed storage are a great idea but are usually bigger than the bedroom area which is why I find the next best thing is a large washing up bowl with the front corner modified...will try and remember to take a piccie tomorrow. They are deep enough to catch those high wees!

mine used to do this but now its the ground floor only! i think it was only flops who liked the bedroom but Bella goes downstairs and he loves her so has copied her.

thank you for the picture, I have changed my litter tray and for now I just used an underbed storage tray, although a bigger one is coming. Although he is now doing it all in the tray but just next to the tray there seems to be wee, I did think he may be sitting there too to wee, but now im thinking maybe its the sides that are still not high enough and its coming out. I may still do what you did with the washing up bowl, thats a good idea!!x I have also just bought a cheap cut of lino today to line the entire hutch with, and one of those grass chew mats, do I need to put anything else on the floor of the hutch, or in winter put straw on the floor as well??? I am getting a thermal cover coming too?:wave:

Thermal cover sounds fab, I only put megasorb and straw in litter tray, my hutch is lined which makes a huge difference and quick to clean. I don't put any thing on the floor as they then just use the whole hutch as a toilet!
You could try vet bed for winter to sleep on, they should also snuggle and the thermal cover should help.

excellent,thank you very much for the photo and comments. My bunny is going to be bonding in August, would you line the whole hutch with megazorb incase they start weeing all over or just leave it as it is and see how they get on? thanks for all your help.x:D

excellent,thank you very much for the photo and comments. My bunny is going to be bonding in August, would you line the whole hutch with megazorb incase they start weeing all over or just leave it as it is and see how they get on? thanks for all your help.x:D

ah good question, not sure as mine are brothers so came from rescue together. I would try without maybe and see what happens....hopefully someone who has bonded can help with that one :)

Back