• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and sand pits?

andy5898

Warren Scout
All of my bunnies like to play in the soil. I know certainly 2 of them loved it when I filled up a litter tray with kids playpit sand.

I am thinking now of buying a kids play sandpit and just have it in the garden. So when my bunnies are free ranging they can play in it if they want.

Is this safe for them? I just thought I'd check rather than just do it!

It has silica in it which is a human carcinogen and could cause cancer in buns as well.

How about potting soil as an alternative?

Im not big on sand for buns because of the fine grains. I prefer compost or bark chippings. I would worry about sand getting blown into eyes or inhailed/ingested.

No idea, I wondered the same thing :?

Is this an American things (about carcenogenic sand) as otherwise I would be worried..... as we have a child who EATS sand in our nursery.... we try and stop him, but he has..... needs and we haven't been given another adult to give him 1:1 care yet.

Is this an American things (about carcenogenic sand) as otherwise I would be worried..... as we have a child who EATS sand in our nursery.... we try and stop him, but he has..... needs and we haven't been given another adult to give him 1:1 care yet.

So your playsand isn't silica based? I wish ours wasn't, then I could give hamsters etc playsand :(

i get non silica sand for the kids to play with :) also for my fish tanks i dont know why but i have always got the non silica ones

So your playsand isn't silica based? I wish ours wasn't, then I could give hamsters etc playsand :(

I think it is but you have obviously been told more in the US than we have, we are told it is safe and meets the requirements of BS EN 71-3.

There are lots of children playing with this sand over here, whose parents think it is safe

Do you have some links about its safety?

i get non silica sand for the kids to play with :) also for my fish tanks i dont know why but i have always got the non silica ones

Oh, does it matter for fish tanks? I had assumed it wouldn't, so was planning on getting playsand for my fish tanks.

Do you have some links about its safety?

I actually heard about it on a hamster forum (hamsterhideout) so I don't have any links. I think there are links on there about it if you search though.

Last edited:
Ok, so back on bunnies, sand isn't looking like a good idea? Is bark ok for them or will bunnies eat the bark?

Personally if I was using sand I'd make sure it was damp before your buns play in it (and heavier), if it's windy you don't want the wind blowing a load of dry sand into your rabbits eyes and noses

Back