• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fly eggs in litter tray. None on buns. Should I be worried?

DDD

Mama Doe
I came home from work today to find fly eggs in their litter tray. I changed it all yesterday, doing it again obviously today. What else can I do? None on the buns though. Deep cleaning their shed at the mo. Any way of preventing this, or just regular cleaning to get rid of the eggs before they turn to maggots?

:shock: Oh dear, that doesnt sound good! I would just maybe up the cleaning of the trays to twice a day, especially in this heat.

:shock: Oh dear, that doesnt sound good! I would just maybe up the cleaning of the trays to twice a day, especially in this heat.

That was the first chance I had since coming home from work. They were fresh last night at 9pm, and I emptied them at 5pm.

I had this all last year! It's so scary. :shock:
I changed the litter tray religiously. Just used newspaper and a little bit of hay so I could change it twice a day or more. Cleaned everything and checked the bunnies twice a day. I was fine last year. You could use rear guard just to be sure, but mine were okay. We have an awful council back bit where everyone puts their bins and the cats just go there to poo. No one takes responsibility for clearing it so it stays horrible and attracts so many flies. :(

I had this all last year! It's so scary. :shock:
I changed the litter tray religiously. Just used newspaper and a little bit of hay so I could change it twice a day or more. Cleaned everything and checked the bunnies twice a day. I was fine last year. You could use rear guard just to be sure, but mine were okay. We have an awful council back bit where everyone puts their bins and the cats just go there to poo. No one takes responsibility for clearing it so it stays horrible and attracts so many flies. :(

Sorry to hear you had this too, but glad you have posted and that yours are OK from it. Will get some rear guard tomorrow.

Might be a daft suggestion...but please forgive me...I'm new to this:oops::oops: Are they in a shed or cage? If they were in a shed what about attaching fly papers (the sticky ones) to the top of the shed and all around it?

It would be harder to do if they were in a cage but you could possibly stick them around the top of the cage? It may not work...it was only a thought as an extra precaution:D

Last year when it was really hot, my rabbit's toilet had lots of flies flying round it so t may be that the flies have just been in the toilet and produced the fly eggs.In my opinion I would say that you should clean out the toilet once or twice a day and i just think it is because of the hot weather. If you are really worried about it then you could go and see your vet and he might be able to tell you if it is serious or not.

Hope that you get the problem sorted soon
:wave::wave:

I just use newspaper and hay.

It may help to use a more absorbent litter....I currently use aubiose..its made from hemp...a huge back for £10....or you could try mega-zorb (also cheap I think) or carefresh (but carefresh is more expensive)...and then place some hay on one side or use a hayrack...the wee will then get absorbed and not be wet as such and wont smell so much. Their usual other poops shouldnt attract much flies as they tend to dry out quickly.
Do the buns have any extra ceacal (not sure how to spell it:oops:) poops?

Hope this helps!:D

I ddont know about rearguard...BUT when I asked my vet a bout precautions like that - the vet said they were too young at the time...so just make sure its all ok!:wave:

Cleaning out the litter trays is the very important. The flies will lay their eggs anywhere that is moist and warm, so a litter tray is going to be ideal laying territory for them. If you have bunnies who cannot clean themselves, have mucky bums, or are incontinent, then they are more vulnerable to flystrike, because they may have damp or unclean areas which will attract the flies.

Hygiene of the environment and the bunny are the most important things. Check your bunnies bottoms every day - more often in hot weather or if they are vulnerable - although if they are at higher risk it may be better to bring them indoors.

You can place fly-netting around the windows of the hutch/shed, but I have found this also makes their accommodation warmer as less air circulates.

You can attach cotton wool to the outside of the hutch and apply neat citronella oil to this (1-2 drops) BUT it must be out of the reach of the rabbits. If this is not possible, you can add 5-6 drops of citronella oil to some water and put in a plant spray bottle (you can also add lavender oil) and spray this on the outside of the hutch/shed.

You can grow lavender, borage, lemon balm and mint around the area as these are supposed to have natural fly-repellent properties (and are safe for buns to eat).

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/flystrike_sep_05.pdf

Last edited:
Back