• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I dont know what to do...

nessar

Warren Veteran
Can you help me decide when to get the rexes neutered? I just posted on my other thread what happened:
just got home and found baby buck running about loose in the road, he got out of the run. Looks like he managed to set free his mother and sister too from the hutch, god knows how. This is not good. Spent the last 30 mins chasing them all through peoples gardens whilst trying to stop cars. Finally got them though, with the help of a friend I called. But saw mum and this boy mounting and circling each other..... mum and boy were on the road but baby girl was in the garden so hopefully he didnt hump her....

Looks like I'm going to have to neuter them asap. My vets wont do the baby girl though, they dont do girls till 6 months and nor do the other vets in town. But definately need to get the mum done. And I have NO money left to pay for it :/ stress.

On top of this I cant separate the boys until next week really when I move house, then I can bring them all indoors unless I bring him in with my two but keep in a cage, but then there is referred aggression..... argh. I only have my bedroom to work with here, as its not my house.

I panicked and have booked the mum and buck in for neutering, I will have to borrow money to pay for it but I cant have the bucks separate and I cant have mum pregnant. But I booked them in for wednesday without thinking.

I am moving house at the weekend, they will be moving indoors. Is this way too much stress and change for one week?

Getting them neutered next week would actually be better as theyd be indoors already and it wouldnt be cold, and as we all know hay bedding is a no-no after neutering, how would they stay warm if outside? Would they be okay outdoors?

But then will next week be too late for neutering mummy-bun safely because of the humping today? And will the boys still be friends if I wait a week?

I dont know :( please help me make some sense of this, I'm still all panicky. Sorry if this reads funny in in a right dither.

I'm not sure if you have the boys separated from the females or not. If not you need to do the boys asap in case they get to their sister as well. If they are separate then wait until you have moved, as you say that is too much stress really to have the ops and then have the stress of the move. You can wait a week to spay the mother after the son got at her but not much longer than that without making the spay higher risk.

Hay is only a no no if the spay wound is stitched. If it is glued hay is fine. Castrate wounds are usually glued too, so again fine unless just stitches are used.

Mum needs to be done this week. Were the boys fighting or is it just because you suspect excessive humping? If so I would have thought the boys could wait. Is there anyone who could have her for you whilst she recouperates?

hey guys, panic over!

I've spoken to Alice at Windwhistle Warren, who has been helping me since I first saw these rexes in their old home, Alice offered a while ago to take the bunnies on, so what we are going to do is speed the process up a bit. Alice is going to ask on here if a bunny-run can be made, and we're going to try and get them here this week or next week, and then Alice can have them neutered and it saves them the stress of moving house and everything too....

Now just to get a bunny run sorted!

Back