• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Renal Failure in 2-year-old Doe

Furries

Warren Scout
I've just been told by my vet that my 2-year-old dwarf lop has renal failure. Although they can put her on a drip to flush her kidneys out, it may not help her, and if it does, the improvement will only last a few months at most.

Has anybody any experience of renal failure and have they managed to extend their rabbit's life significantly? I can't believe it as she's only 2 - the vet said it's one of those unfortunate things, some rabbits get kidney problems when they're young.

The herbal remedy, Uva ursi appears to help with kidney stones, but I imagine that if her kidneys are failing, it won't help.

Firstly, im very sorry about your bunny :(

Kidney failure is evil, i have a bun who, whilst was originally diagnosed with chronic renal failure, we now know her kidneys just don't work at all well. She's only just turned one.

Some vets, have used fortekor in rabbits, which is a kidney treatment for cats, with great results. A couple of users of the forum (parsnipbun for one i believe) have used it with good results, but it doesn't fix the problem.

There are diets you can use to help bun as best you can, lots of herbs/veg that contain liquids, so they can keep their own system flushing, and avoid diuretics, such as parsley, dandelion leaves etc.

Does she drink a LOT? If not, sub cutaneous fluids (fluids beneath the skin by injection) may well help also.

Good luck and im sorry.

Sorry to hear your bunny has renal failure. :(

I only have experience of CRF in cats. My Nugget was on Fortekor for a year and it really helped him. I hope you can find a solution that works for your bunny.

Sending lots of vibes xx

I'm really sorry about your little one :(

The only experience I have is as a secondary to something else, so just bumping this xx

Back