• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Adoption Form....

Ambience

Warren Veteran
Does anyone have any i could have a look from prior adoptions or that you use at so that i can take some inspiration and collate one.

Thanks.

Thanks created one today. It looks quite nice. I've used alot of my own terminology from what i've learnt from the legal industry.

Any recommendations of any additional information i can give to the new owners?

Thanks

As well as the above suggestions about everything I have a few suggestions, dunno how helpful they'll be but meh:

- a part saying 'I understand that a rabbits primary diet is hay and I will ensure that my rabbits diet consists of approximately 70-80% good qualityhay with the addition of: a tablespoon full of pellets, and a handful of appropriate fresh vegetables every day. I understand that failing to provide hay as the main supplement of the diet can cause painful and expensive dental problems. Please refer to the information pack for good/bad hay.'

-the bit about vaccinations, ensure you say something like 'I understand that I am obliged to keep my rabbit vaccinated against the deadly diseases of:

1) VHD (Viral Hemorrhagic Disease), by injection once per year
2) Myxomatosis, by injection twice per year. Please note, we encourage you to use Anivac or Lapinject rather than Cylap which can cause severe sores. Please refer to (somewhere) for more information

-I have read through and understood the information pack given to me, and I agree to abide by the suggestions inside there in order to keep my rabbit safe and happy. I understand that I should keep the information pack and refer to it if necessary. I also understand I am free and able to ring the rescue at any time during normal working hours for suggestions or advice. (You could also put here that they're able to ring 24/7 if it's an emergency)

~

-That information pack I mentioned I think is a fab idea, it should cover:
-safety (never leaving them unattended inside or outside if predators could get to them, bar spacing of mesh and type of mesh, safe and unsafe plants,
-signs of illness, so they know what to look for in a bunny that might be hiding something
-heat/cold precautions - mentioning that bunnies can't sweat (except from little tiny nose) that's why heat is so dangerous to them. Also cover the cold winter months ensuring that owners know that outside bunnies need insulation & weatherproofing (old duvets, tarp, those shiny mat things to keep heat in, bubble wrap and extra hay).
-different types of housing briefly - incase they want to bring them indoors or take them outdoors, it'd be good to have a page on different types of housing and what's appropriate/inappropriate. Like loads of people might not know that a dog crate with a pen attached would make a great & cheap indoor enclosure, would be good to mention options like that! Also sheds :)
-Also mention that treats should be bunny safe - mention fenugreek crunchies and the range that they come from (my minds gone blank sorry :lol:) as a good example. And emphasise that treats are treats and should only be given in very small amounts. Advise that they can give their pellets as 'treats' throughout the day, instead of feeding extra supplementary treats :)
-Enrichment - mention toys and what is/isn't suitable (eating paper/cardboard and that leather is unsafe) people might not know that parrot toys could be good, and that willow is good, and that a cardboard box = heaven, and that rabbits will use cat/dog enrichment toys for food rewards, etc.

EDIT:
-Hay - mention that some rabbits may not like certain hays. Ensure the hay they buy is not dusty, and it should be green and sweet smelling. Tell them about how a hay bale is very cheap and can be easily stored in a duvet cover on its end in a garage. Also recommend hay for pets, etc.
-Substrate - tell them about how sawdust isn't recommended, and that substrate bedding isn't needed. Tell them a piece of lino cut to fit is a great, easy to clean option. If they want to use substrate recommend megazorb/carefresh (have a link to suppliers at the end of the info pack), or hay :)

Sorry about all the obviousness of the above! I know you know it, just trying to think of things that people might not know about. I really think the information pack would be great, you can just shove it in a binder and give it to them to keep so they can refer back to it at any point with questions. Would be good to include links to rabbit rehome and RU, and other good websites at the back of the info pack etc :)

Last edited:
I don't think all that information would be needed on an adoption form though?

Ambience are you giving out an adoption pack with leaflets?

As well as the above suggestions about everything I have a few suggestions, dunno how helpful they'll be but meh:

- a part saying 'I understand that a rabbits primary diet is hay and I will ensure that my rabbits diet consists of approximately 70-80% good qualityhay with the addition of: a tablespoon full of pellets, and a handful of appropriate fresh vegetables every day. I understand that failing to provide hay as the main supplement of the diet can cause painful and expensive dental problems. Please refer to the information pack for good/bad hay.'

-the bit about vaccinations, ensure you say something like 'I understand that I am obliged to keep my rabbit vaccinated against the deadly diseases of:

1) VHD (Viral Hemorrhagic Disease), by injection once per year
2) Myxomatosis, by injection twice per year. Please note, we encourage you to use Anivac or Lapinject rather than Cylap which can cause severe sores. Please refer to (somewhere) for more information

-I have read through and understood the information pack given to me, and I agree to abide by the suggestions inside there in order to keep my rabbit safe and happy. I understand that I should keep the information pack and refer to it if necessary. I also understand I am free and able to ring the rescue at any time during normal working hours for suggestions or advice. (You could also put here that they're able to ring 24/7 if it's an emergency)

~

-That information pack I mentioned I think is a fab idea, it should cover:
-safety (never leaving them unattended inside or outside if predators could get to them, bar spacing of mesh and type of mesh, safe and unsafe plants,
-signs of illness, so they know what to look for in a bunny that might be hiding something
-heat/cold precautions - mentioning that bunnies can't sweat (except from little tiny nose) that's why heat is so dangerous to them. Also cover the cold winter months ensuring that owners know that outside bunnies need insulation & weatherproofing (old duvets, tarp, those shiny mat things to keep heat in, bubble wrap and extra hay).
-different types of housing briefly - incase they want to bring them indoors or take them outdoors, it'd be good to have a page on different types of housing and what's appropriate/inappropriate. Like loads of people might not know that a dog crate with a pen attached would make a great & cheap indoor enclosure, would be good to mention options like that! Also sheds :)
-Also mention that treats should be bunny safe - mention fenugreek crunchies and the range that they come from (my minds gone blank sorry :lol:) as a good example. And emphasise that treats are treats and should only be given in very small amounts. Advise that they can give their pellets as 'treats' throughout the day, instead of feeding extra supplementary treats :)
-Enrichment - mention toys and what is/isn't suitable (eating paper/cardboard and that leather is unsafe) people might not know that parrot toys could be good, and that willow is good, and that a cardboard box = heaven, and that rabbits will use cat/dog enrichment toys for food rewards, etc.

EDIT:
-Hay - mention that some rabbits may not like certain hays. Ensure the hay they buy is not dusty, and it should be green and sweet smelling. Tell them about how a hay bale is very cheap and can be easily stored in a duvet cover on its end in a garage. Also recommend hay for pets, etc.
-Substrate - tell them about how sawdust isn't recommended, and that substrate bedding isn't needed. Tell them a piece of lino cut to fit is a great, easy to clean option. If they want to use substrate recommend megazorb/carefresh (have a link to suppliers at the end of the info pack), or hay :)

Sorry about all the obviousness of the above! I know you know it, just trying to think of things that people might not know about. I really think the information pack would be great, you can just shove it in a binder and give it to them to keep so they can refer back to it at any point with questions. Would be good to include links to rabbit rehome and RU, and other good websites at the back of the info pack etc :)

Have you got this in a leaflet? there's a lot of good information there

Yep that's pretty much what I'd put in it, give it take a few bits based on recommendations :wave:

I think there's quite a good bit of information there and would make a brilliant leaflet :thumb: are any of the other rescue interested?

Back