• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore penis in unneutered 13wk buck

nessar

Warren Veteran
I've jjust checked on the rescue rexes' bums and one of the bucks' penis is red, it looks sore. I will post a pic when I get back but I have an appointment in a sec to get to, and its only me so I'll have to trance him :(

It is not bleeding (or he'd be down the vets right now!) and looks whole, just sore. I separated him from the females just before 12 weeks, he is living with his brother. He WAS getting humpy before I separated them but now he is jjust with his brother I havent seen him try anything :?

Advice needed!

I cant offer advice, only not to trance and to take him to the vets asap!

Thanks Chul,
I cant take him till 5pm, the vets see everyone morning and evening, the middle of the day is for operations, callouts, farmers and emergencies. I dont think they'll rate this as an emergency as he seems fine, its not bleeding, he didnt flinch when I touched the area.

To take a picture I'd have to trance him so I can press down with one hand (to make it 'come out') and take the picture with the other :( The vet would trance him anyway to have a good look :(

I dont know what to do... I'm late for my appointment so really have to go, will be back this afternoon. More help welcome in the meantime!

I would think its possible that whilst you havent seen it, that he's displaying dominance to his brother. The excessive humping can cause severe redness and soreness.

I think if the vet certifies this is what it is - basically, friction burn :shock: that you will need to seperate pre-neuter and attempt a rebond post-neuter.

Really difficult to say without seeing him but what about syphilis? That was the first to spring to mind.

thanks guys, I thought it may be friction burn. None of the other buns (I have mum and siblings here) have any symptoms, does syphilis always have symptoms? I will have to do the photo later because of what just happened....

just got home and found him running about loose in the road, he got out of the run. Looks like he managed to set free his mother and sister too from the hutch, god knows how. This is not good. Spent the last 30 mins chasing them all through peoples gardens whilst trying to stop cars. Finally got them though, with the help of a friend I called. But saw mum and this boy mounting and circling each other..... mum and boy were on the road but baby girl was in the garden so hopefully he didnt hump her....

Looks like I'm going to have to neuter them asap. My vets wont do the baby girl though, they dont do girls till 6 months and nor do the other vets in town. But definately need to get the mum done. And I have NO money left to pay for it :/ stress.

On top of this I cant separate the boys until next week really when I move house, then I can bring them all indoors unless I bring him in with my two but keep in a cage, but then there is referred aggression..... argh. I only have my bedroom to work with here, as its not my house.

called the vet, he isnt there (thats usual for daytime) but the receptionist is going to ask him and if it sounds bad he'll call me, if not I said dont worry.

I have also booked both bucks in for neuter on wednesday, I've had to borrow the money from a friend :(

I don't know what to say but I didn't just want to read and run. I have had a whole family of buns and only 1 with symptoms. What a naughty boy he is, sorry you are having all this stress when you have helped them out. :(

Just an update, I checked on him very late last night and the redness had reduced a lot, so I am putting it down to friction burn :)

my flopsy a sore willy , quite some time after he was neutered and i think it was down to him getting some hay and some fur stuck in it as he was moulting at the time. i managed to clean it a bit for him and did see vet who gave him some metacam.

Keep an eye on it. Its probably just from too much humping but sometimes it can get stuck out which is very painful and makes it difficult to them to urinate etc.

Back